Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Voltage lowers :O

Aeolus702

Corvette
1990 L98 Dark Red Metallic Coupe
the meter shoes around 16 i guess and i have the car in idle. when i use the power windows the car loses some of the voltage and the engine loses rpms.
also i beleive it does this with other electronics when they are on aswell.

is this normal? i dont think it is, as the other cars in my house dont loose power. check the grounds?

Disconnect the ground for the window switch that causes the problem, and make a temporary ground. Cycle the window, and see if it shows the same problem...

If more than one device causes the problem, find in the FSM wiring diagram what circuits have a common/shared ground.

Are you saying you attached a DVOM to the battery and are seeing 16 volts? Does the same thing happen when you turn on the headlights on? You run the risk of damaging electronics like the ECM when you exceed 16 volts. I would pull the alternator, and have it checked out.

Check and Clean ALL Grounding to Chassis,Wiring Harness and Engine,Have Battery Load Tested,Have Alternator Tested for Open/Shorted Diodes and proper Regulator operation!!:thumb

PS Also check and clean connections on fusible links by battery!!

the meter shoes around 16 i guess and i have the car in idle. when i use the power windows the car loses some of the voltage and the engine loses rpms.
also i beleive it does this with other electronics when they are on aswell.

is this normal? i dont think it is, as the other cars in my house dont loose power. check the grounds?

To a degree it is normal, voltage will drop slightly at idle as accessories are used, but also be aware that 16v is too high also. Check your voltage at the battery with a quality voltmeter and see what is really happening with all the different accessories used at different times, and then using all of them together. Your alternator will not charge full amperage output at idle, ususally you will need to see 2-3k rpm's for maximum charging capability.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom