Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Voltage

Edmond

Corvette
2003 Z06
How many volts should I be running at?

While driving today, I noticed that the little red battery signal is on and I'm only running 10.5 volts while driving and 9.7-10 while parked.

The battery is about 3 years old and I don't believe it's the battery. Should I have it tested by a pro?

volz

Was it raining? Mine displays similar symptoms during the rain. I think mine is a loose belt (maybe). One thing you have to understand, your vette can run without any battery in it at all. The battery only starts it. If your voltage is lagging, you have alternator problems. Either a loose belt, or the alternator itself.
Let us know.
--Drew:w

Drew,

No, it wasn't raining. But I didn't mention that I tried to start it afterwards and it wouldn't start.

What's the rough cost of a alternator?

Running voltage

13.5-14.2 the light turns on around 10.5vdc

I think I paid about 100.00 for a Delco re man.

Vig!

There was a big problem with the L98 alternator... The bearings were made too small, they overheat, and they go bad. They especially do this when they have to compensate for a bad battery. The good news is the alternator is an easy fix. I can one replaced in 15 minutes (yes, i have done it that many times) but it shouldn't take anyone more than an hour taking their time.... I bought mine from discount auto because they are really cheap and have the lifetime warrantee AND they are so easy to replace.... save your warrantee slip on this one though!

The alternator is toast.
Yes, it is an EZ fix. One warning, however, If your battery has been drained more than 2-3 times, there is a good chance the cells have lost the ability to take a full charge.
Replace both.

But

Do NOT buy a PEP Boys ALT... they are Cr@p

Vig!

Pick out an auto parts store near you, take your Vette there and have them use their testing machine to put a load on your electrical system. They will tell you where the problem is. It's a free service at almost all these places. Don't start buying a bunch of parts before you test your car. It's a simple procedure.
Good luck,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom