Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

vortec intake with a late C3-hood?????

Glensgages

Corvette
Black '82 Coupe
A buddy wants to put a set of vortec-heads on the motor of his 1980 Corvette, and use an aftermarket intake manifold with his OEM Q-Jet carb:
the Edelbrock catalog says that their Performer vortec, Performer RPM vortec, and RPM Air-Gap vortec will not fit on Corvettes with the stock hood.....
;shrug

Has any Forum-member used any of the Edelbrock/vortec intakes on a late ('80-'82 ) C3 while retaining their stock, low-profile hood, and if-so, what modifications were needed?
;help

Thanks-in-advance!!!!!
:beer

I think they mean STOCK hood as in pre,what 78.Anyway your 80 is like my 82 and we have the cowl hood.I'm pretty sure it will fit,my only experence is with a 71 Camaro hood(ie,no clearance)I put the vortec heads and edlebrock intake with their q-jet and it fits.I don't think the air gap will.Our hoods offer atleast 2in more clearance;shrugDo the clay test first.

vortec heads and vortec Performer fit my stock 76 L-48 hood. only using 2 inch air cleaner element. could use drop down and a 3 inch.

I'll ask him to supply us with a picture from the under-side of his hood, to see if the carb will fit 'up' inside any portion of the cowling, and also have him perform a 'clay-test', to see how-much room he has with the OEM intake:
I think Edelbrock lists their vortec intakes @ 4.72" pad-height, but I am unsure what that dimension is on an L-48 intake.....
;shrug

If he is not going to use the stock air cleaner and is going with an 14 inch open air cleaner,K&N makes a 2 3/4in tall filter that will make up the difference.

..... will ALL of the Edelbrock vortec intakes mount a Q-Jet w/o using an adaptor-plate?
:confused

The Performer Vortec can use both square and spread bore carbs w/o an adapter.Performer RPM is square bore only.

, but I am unsure what that dimension is on an L-48 intake.....
;shrug
Typical OE L48 cast iron Qjet intake (ie
c/n 3973460 for lowhood base '71 L48) tallest pad height is at rear = Rpad = 4.375"
------------------------------------------------------------------
For comparison ... these two aftermarket Alum intakes fit any C3 hood, Qjet and regular heads

Intake Manifold, Weiand alum. p/n 8004 Rpad = 4.00"

Intake Manifold, Edelbrock p/n 2101 Rpad = 4.60"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I have for sale a slightly used Alum intake for Vortec sbc heads & Qjet w/ NO egr ... Pro Products p/n 52007 ... Rpad = 4.25" ....... mine's in perfect shape... $90 firm.

I guarantee this intake is AOK.
It should fit any C3 hood but I cannot guarantee hood fit.
I do not ship outside contiguous 48 states; too much hassle.
Email me thru this forum only if serious.

Thanks for the info, and the offer, Jack, but I'm told my friend ordered the heads/intake in kit-form from Scoggin-Dickey Performance on Tuesday 3 July, with the intake being an RPM Air-Gap vortec:
SDP had a liberal return policy, and told him if the intake/carb doesn't fit (he says he also decided to go with a Holley carb ), they'll accept the intake & ship him the Performer, as-long-as the Air-Gap hasn't been bolted-down.

He is thinkingthe car will be back-on the road by next weekend (14 July ), and once he tells me how I went, I'll try to share as-much info as I can.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom