Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Vortech supercharger entry level carburated question

Tepot

Corvette
1974 Metalic Blue L-48 Coupe 4 speed
Hi guys,

I've looked at all kinds of possibilities to give a boost to my 350 engine. it's now pushing around 375 HP. I was thinking maybe rebuild the engine to a 383 stroker which my take me to 425 HP. But the cost is most likely close to 5000$ to do so.

Now I was looking at this supercharger on summit racing. Vortech model # VOR-4GP218-058L can be viewed here. Vortech 4GP218-058L - Vortech Carbureted Entry-Level Supercharger Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Can anyone tell me how much HP approx I could gain with the supercharger.

As anyone ever installed one in a C3 like mine? if so, how easy or difficult was it to install? was it worth it?

What about hood clearance?

Please let me know and include pictures if you have some

thanks

Dan

Hi guys,

I've looked at all kinds of possibilities to give a boost to my 350 engine. it's now pushing around 375 HP. I was thinking maybe rebuild the engine to a 383 stroker which my take me to 425 HP. But the cost is most likely close to 5000$ to do so.

Now I was looking at this supercharger on summit racing. Vortech model # VOR-4GP218-058L can be viewed here. Vortech 4GP218-058L - Vortech Carbureted Entry-Level Supercharger Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Can anyone tell me how much HP approx I could gain with the supercharger.

Because you've offered no information about the 350 to which you will install this supercharger and you've offered no information about the supercharger itself, my wild-assed guess is that you could gain anywhere from 75-200-hp depending on the engine you put it on, the supercharger and how the package is tuned.

As anyone ever installed one in a C3 like mine? if so, how easy or difficult was it to install? was it worth it?

I'll let others who've put centrifugal blowers on SBV8s in C3s answer that one.

What about hood clearance?

It won't clear the stock hood.

Also, I'd add 750 bucks to your budget to cover a carburetor which will work well with a blow-through supercharger and some chassis dyno tuning work to get the engine to run right.

If you're engine does not have forged, low-compression pistons along with connecting rods appropriate for use in a supercharged engine, either you'll have to settle for a only a modest power increase or you need to budget another grand or so to tear the motor down and change the pistons.

If you want a charge air cooler add another 500 bucks or so.

My engine is pushing around 375 HP. The bottom end is stock, but upgraded the top end with Edelbrock performer EPS intake, patriot aluminium heads 64CC , comp cam xtreme 268 camshaft, Holley 770 street avenger caburetor. High flow holley fuel pump.

I've been looking at specs and my air cleaner from edelbrock and the specs for the Net Height from Carb Flange (in) 3.750 in. , The specs for the supercharger i've specified in my first post is Net Hight from carb Flange ( in) 3.2 in.

So it looks like it will fit under the hood. The guy at summit told me that it's only 5 psi boost , so no need to do any modifications to the engines he said.

can someone confirm this?

Here is a pic of a friend of a friends Pro-charger on a 70. He said it was far from a bolt in installation. It required a change to nitrofilled(sp) floats, a cam with a wide LSA,fuel system mods, and of course a taller hood.
th_carshow2010004.jpg

Here is a pic of a friend of a friends Pro-charger on a 70. He said it was far from a bolt in installation. It required a change to nitrofilled(sp) floats, a cam with a wide LSA,fuel system mods, and of course a taller hood.
th_carshow2010004.jpg

Thanks, anyway I could speak to him? maybe by email?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom