Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Vortex Rammer Cold Air System

Does that non-belief extend to this product?

I have been told that this add-on adds very little while costing much.

Pilot,

I'm not very sure on the gains of this. I've personally stayed away from it because of the cost. Some of the members here have it and say good things about it, I haven't heard a bad thing about it yet.

Can we have some feedback from owners of this setup?

I have stayed away from it because it doesn't make sense to me... It says it draws air from the pressurized area in front of the radiator... It can't be too pressurized, since the car is designed to flow air through the radiator, and not up into the engine... on top of that, the air does flow through the radiator, so it can't really be pressurized... I assume the most you get out of it is a cold air intake while you are moving... I would say the Forced Air system is much better.

I installed the Vortex and I like it. The install took about 3 hours. You will need to remove and cut the plastic piece under the stock air filter for the install. There are 3 small screws on each side in the very front of the car that took me forever to get out. I didn't even put them back in they were such a pain. The air is forced up to the air filter ONLY when the car is moving, hence RAM AIR. I can't tell you how much HP you get, but you will feel it once installed. I also removed my MAF Screen when doing the install. There are two things that can be an issue. The installed clear plastic piece can rub on the inside of your hood and create a rubbed area. I do not have this problem with mine. On mine the air filter seems to drift into the clear plastic piece more then it should. The clamp for the air filter should be on the outside of the plastic and on mine it gets pushed inside. It looks like all you would need is something to support it, that I have not found yet. I'm satisfied with the units performance.

-JimS

The problem that i see with it, even when the car is moving, is air will go the easiest route possible... It isn't going to just ram its way into the engine if it is easier to just go through the radiator.

The A/C condenser and the radiator are on an angle. Once you cut the plastic that covers them, the air will be pushed from under the car into the installed clear plastic. The design of the system is good.

-JimS

Tell me if I am wrong here... The Vortex system draws air from the same area as the radiator and A/C condensor.

If this is the case, the area is connected to the whole engine compartment, through the radiator and A/C... This means to me, that in order for there to be any air forced into the engine, there has to be so much air running into that area that the air can't make it through to the engine compartment fast enough, so it starts to get forced into the engine.... The problem I see with the system is it would take a heck of a lot of air to force air into the engine over forcing air through the radiator. The radiator on corvettes is very large, and it flows air easily. The engine does not suck up that much air, and it is difficult to force air into it. Thus, I think the vortex is nothing more than a cool air intake while at speed.

I guess it could be considered a cool air system. I noticed gains 35 MPH and better. Exactly how much air gets rammed up into the system, I don't know. Does it increase HP, yes. Which system is the best? I don't know. I'm happy with my purchase.\

-JimS

So what we can conclude is that we don't have any conclusions?:L

It would be indeed quite difficult to get a number in terms of a HP increase because the car would have to be moving. And it would also be difficult to come to conclusions on the track because I think that you'll never make the same run twice.

Would putting the car on a dyno, with a big fan in front be enough to simulate a real world driving condition in terms of wind hitting the front of the car?

votec rammer

I would like to add my comments to this issue of the Votec Rammer. I noticed that the engine revs quicker and I have put my car on a dyno. My sesults were @ 6000 RPM = 300 RWHP and 314 foot lb torque. Was i recieveing any additonal air from my rammer? NO! But you can hear my LS1 sucking air let there's no tomorrow I seen a shadetree mechanics show, they dynoed a 2001 and produced just 290 RWHP. I had the votec Rammer installed and removed the screen on the MAF sensor. My car wouldn't down shift while i was cruising down the highway. So i purchased a replacement screen and solved my problem of not having a passing gear while at cruise. So removing the screen and trying to get the so called 5 extra HP from doing so could effects some cars performance. What I heard is that if I had ther hyper tech programmer, that it would fixed my problem. The same shadetree mechanice show, they installed the hyper tech program and got just 3 additional RWHP. To me it wasn't worth the cost of $400.00. This is my spill on the rammer. Would I do it again? Yes! a real clean looking installation. Anything is better than the stock air filter box from the factory. Get the clear box so you can see the K&N filter and know when it's time to clean the filter

I don't think the vortex would give any more horsepower than a regular K&N with the open lid... The stock setup is so restrictive, I am sure the Vortex adds power, on the other hand, I would rather save my money and go for the cut open lid. The only real way to test it is to test a regular K&N with an open lid against the Vortex. My bet is there is no noticable increase in horsepower.

Since most aftermarket manufactures do not give HP increases backed by dyno results, we as customers should push for it. I've seen good episodes of HorsePowerTV where they have done before and after dyno test results. Why don't the manufactures test their products for exact results? Wouldn't this help sell more products? It should also promote better engineered products. Just my thought becasue we can discuss this issue till we are blue in the hands, with no exact answer. Does it come down to looks?

-JimS

PS. I saw a episode of HPTV that they changed 3 fliuds (diff,trans,oil) in a 99' Camaro SS to synthetic and gained 8 RWHP!

Vettelt193 said:
I think the vortex is nothing more than a cool air intake while at speed.

Exactly my thinking!!!

Actually a gentleman on the Corvette Forum www.corvetteforum.com did this.

He Told Ernie at Breathless if you give me the Vortex Rammer to try on his vette (it was a 1996 LT1 auto) he did back to back runs with the Vortex and his Cut lid. He told Ernie, if he got ANY gain he would pay double for it, if no Gains he would return it no questions asked and the only cost would be shipping.

Well he saw .2-.3 drop on his ET if memory serves. Ernie only charged him the normal price. but I trust is results. This was also in a stock Motor (i think he had Muffler elims and a Stall).

I have one on my 89. Other then it rubbing the hood I am happy with it.

But it is only a cool air intake. you you want a true ram air intake, buy the through the bumber forced air kit.

The manufacturers would rather not have true dyno results... something like an air filter can't really do that much for a stock engine, most likely only a few horsepower. Not too many owners would justify spending over $200 on a few horsepower, so they either don't make the claim at all, or they make the claim based upon modified engines so their product 'sounds good' the real world usually winds up with a bunch of car buddies buying and trying parts... If you look around some of the car shows for the mild tuner cars, you will notice groups of cars that have many of the same modifications done... Those are the mods that are known to work out in the real world, the knowledge passed down by word of mouth

hmm

does the vortex create cold air

like refirerate or something?

im putting ram air on my car you would think forcing more air in, would give more then making the air cold

I work in the oil/chemical industry. I have installed a product called a 'vortex cooler'. It is an ingenious little device that contains no moving parts. It chills equipment enclosures, and can even be used to create an air-cooled vest or suit.

There are 2 ports on it and a vent. Pressured air is introduced into one port, cold air comes out from the other port, and hot air is expelled from the vent. The unit is cylinder shaped. It causes the incoming air to spin inside it (vortex effect). The colder air behaves differently than the warmer air, and is separated inside the unit and expelled from different ports.

If this device for the corvette works anything like what I have seen, then it's for real.

At one time, I wanted to put 2 or 3 of these in my old car to use as an A/C system. (Since it uses no freon, liquid, or electricity) THe only problem was that for it to function, you need pressurized air. That means I would have need an air compressor and a volume tank in my car. hhhmmmmmm...glad I bought a convertible!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom