Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! wandering gas gage 2006 C6

jfp1

Corvette
2006 black C6 coupe, previously magnetic red 2004
I have recently had my gas gage(indicator) wandering all over the place, going from empty to full. when it indicates empty it even alerts me about low fuel. I was considering that it might have been getting some stray current from the transformers on my gps and phone usb connections to the accessory outlets. did some trials with disconnecting/reconnecting but can't observe direct correlation. anyone seen this before? all other gages operating properly and, in fact, my average fuel consumption seems to be legitimate. the indication does settle down for long periods and shop proper level.

I have recently had my gas gage(indicator) wandering all over the place, going from empty to full. when it indicates empty it even alerts me about low fuel. I was considering that it might have been getting some stray current from the transformers on my gps and phone usb connections to the accessory outlets. did some trials with disconnecting/reconnecting but can't observe direct correlation. anyone seen this before? all other gages operating properly and, in fact, my average fuel consumption seems to be legitimate. the indication does settle down for long periods and shop proper level.
Put a 20oz bottle of Chevron Techron Plus in the tank and fill it up!Most times that will remove the sulfur deposits from the sensors in the tanks and the gauge will start working again!:thumb

I do mine about every six months if it needs it or not! Haven't had a fuel gauge problem for years now.:thumb

:thumb

Chevron Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner (20 oz.) 65740: Advance Auto Parts

It's probably as GMJunkie says. I know I had issues with the gauge in my 01 and usually the Techron would fix the problem. I try to make sure I use only top-tier gas in the Corvette now.

Yeah, I had this problem. Unfortunately, my fuel level sensor contacts were beyond cleaning and I had to replace it. GM actually has a bulletin out addressing this issue, but they fail to let the owners know about it. The solution is as GMJunkie stated...to put a bottle of the GM version of Chervon techron PLUS in the tank at every oil change. Since you are currently having issues with it, I would suggest filling your tank up and let it soak for a few days to help clean the contacts. The problem gets worst because it's in the passenger side tank which empties first, so the contacts are sitting there dry with all this sulfur buildup on it when your tanks are half full. When the tank is empty, the sulfur dries up on the paper thin contact surfaces and either blocks the electrical signal between the contacts or starts to rip the contact material apart because they stick together (my case). Wish you luck. The dealers charge about $5,000 to make this repair, because they claim you have to drop the differential to get to the tanks. It may be easier and more time consuming to drop the differential, but it can be done without dropping the differential...it's just a very tight job because your arms barely fit into the tight spaces and you can't see what you are doing for one part of the job (you have to do it by feel). Not a job for the average mechanic. But it only took a day and the cost of the sensor, about $75 online and no special tools needed. Hopefully, you will not have to go there.

gas gage problem

Yeah, I had this problem. Unfortunately, my fuel level sensor contacts were beyond cleaning and I had to replace it. GM actually has a bulletin out addressing this issue, but they fail to let the owners know about it. The solution is as GMJunkie stated...to put a bottle of the GM version of Chervon techron PLUS in the tank at every oil change. Since you are currently having issues with it, I would suggest filling your tank up and let it soak for a few days to help clean the contacts. The problem gets worst because it's in the passenger side tank which empties first, so the contacts are sitting there dry with all this sulfur buildup on it when your tanks are half full. When the tank is empty, the sulfur dries up on the paper thin contact surfaces and either blocks the electrical signal between the contacts or starts to rip the contact material apart because they stick together (my case). Wish you luck. The dealers charge about $5,000 to make this repair, because they claim you have to drop the differential to get to the tanks. It may be easier and more time consuming to drop the differential, but it can be done without dropping the differential...it's just a very tight job because your arms barely fit into the tight spaces and you can't see what you are doing for one part of the job (you have to do it by feel). Not a job for the average mechanic. But it only took a day and the cost of the sensor, about $75 online and no special tools needed. Hopefully, you will not have to go there.

Tony:thanks very much for your reply. I am unclear what you are describing in the last few sentences=did you do the replacement yourself? I am hoping that I have not passed the point where the gage will recover after the techron treatment but will run the cycle with fingers crossed.

gas gage problem

fantastic. could you give me tips on the process for reference? it is kinda shitty that GM would produce a system so susceptible to failure and not make it more obvious to owners as to problem!!!!!!! Hekk, here in California I am always trying to squeeze the timing of fill-ups because we have to feed the climate change animal so excessively. $$$$$$$

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32nvOlj9ZFg

This is a video by a guy going by "briansmobile1" on youtube. He walks you thru the steps. The procedure he shows you is very accurate. It comes apart very quickly, in about an hour. Putting it back together took me much longer. I think it took me about 4 hours to put it back together, but I took several breaks out of frustration. The hard part is reconnecting the crossover tube between the tanks. You have to connect it by feel because you cannot see very well in the tight space (your arm is blocking your view). Just be patient. It took me numerous attempts and over an hour just to make what should be a simple snap connection. There are no alignment marks or fitted slots on the connecting surfaces of the crossover tube and the tank, so you have to make your own marks and hope for the best. Just be patient on this part and you will eventually make the connection. Just don't force it and do not lose the "o" rings inside the tube. They may pop out when you disconnect the tube. You can also practice snapping it together while it's out of the car just to get use the feeling when it does connect. It also helps to have someone to help you, but it's not necessary. Hopefully the techron plus will solve your problem and you will not have to go thru this.

wandering gage

all is well with the gage so far, added one bottle Saturday and Costco just happened to have a good sale on a box so I am stocked up for the immediate future. thanks again for the great help.

That's good to hear. If it were me, I'd probably run through two or three bottles through.

wandering gage

That's good to hear. If it were me, I'd probably run through two or three bottles through.

lol. Costco had a sale so I am stocked up for treatments.

Fuel gage indication failure.

After living with my fuel gauge problem for a few years I finally had the occasion to use a code reader while I was driving. I would clear the codes and observe that the fuel gauge returned to the proper indication all the way down to low levels in the tank which I have not had in years. So now I believe the problem is only an indication and not the fuel gauge sensor on the tank. All indications came out normal including even the range left on the fuel I had remaining. Has anyone had this problem?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom