Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

wanna go fast with your 84 till 90 vette?

J

johnny

Now I have you attention.

What would happen if your vette was extremly lighter? When it was made out of carbonfiber?

Now for two years I am developing a carbonfiber bodykit for my '86 vette, and this year October we are going to start with the making of it.

How it's going to look, it will be a secret till it is finished, but I can give you a few basics of the kit.

The kit will be bold on, and can be ordered in carbon/kevlar of fiberglass. The carbonkit will be more expensive because the producings is much more expencive and this kit will have more parts.

You will have a frontbumper Callaway like, with very good cooling airducts and groundeffects. The hood has leMans like headlights and heatextraction.

Question?

Are there in the US people who are interested to buy such a bodykit? The price is not excactly sertain yet, but my goal is to make it cheaper than a Callaway bodykit. And ofcourse LIGHTER!!

please give me a seroius responce.

johnsig2.jpg

John

the cost and quality plus the ease of installing the body kit will of course all effect the sales potential, post some pictures and prices and car before and after install weights and then we can see if the cost is worth the trouble, yes a big reduction in weight and better aerodynamics will make a kit a big seller ..IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT

Just a tidbit of info -Ihave two canoes that are exactly the same except one is fiberglas and weighs 44 lbs. the other is Kevlar and weighs 29 lbs. The weight saveings of a Vette body would be tremendous . I should mention the Kevlar boat cost twice as much !

I'm interested... keep us posted on how it is coming along.

Mike

I am serious with it, but the carbon/kevlar thing is not cheep. The fiberglass guy told me that they once made 250 pieces of Porschebodys for racing, and for each body the factory charged 90.000 DM! That's about 40.000 US $!

The Carbon/kevlar is easyer with painting, much easyer than the fiberglass. So you win a little bit in the cost. But, making doors, will take about 4 weeks to malls. And another week to produce the doors. So that's way to expencive.

So, what will I do?

I do the total design myself, and produce a hood and frontbumper of fiberglass. After this stage, I will have made the redesigned hood and frontbumper in carbon/kevlar, and than I will see what the price will be.

My question: what would be a reasonble price for a hood and frontbumper? And for the headlights? This without the cost of tax and shipping.

And, think of it is very very very nice to see, easy to install and much lighter and aerodynamic.

johnsig2.jpg

john

Too late

The March issue of Vette magazine has an article (Purple Haze) on a carbon fibered ZR1 (560 hp). The body was designed and manufactured by Jeff Nowicki of Specter Werkes in Troy, Michigan. I doubt this is a bolt on kit, and the ZR1 ain't no ordinary corvette, but it has been done successfully.
--Drew:w

Re: Too late

Drewser said:
The March issue of Vette magazine has an article (Purple Haze) on a carbon fibered ZR1 (560 hp). The body was designed and manufactured by Jeff Nowicki of Specter Werkes in Troy, Michigan. I doubt this is a bolt on kit, and the ZR1 ain't no ordinary corvette, but it has been done successfully.

I saw that Car at World of Wheels here in Chicago.. the pictures DO NOT do that car justice...

$400 a pint

I would love to see it in person. The article said the paint on that was $400 a pint! Dupont Absolute Purpleen, "chromalusion, the color-shifting paint that looks everything from green to almost black depending upon the angle." Sounds killer.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom