Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Want different sound for my 62!

Toy4Hal

Corvette
62 Maroon, 03 Anniversary Convertible
I'm almost afraid to put this out there, but here goes!

I have virtually stock exhaust on my 62 'Vette. She sounds "OK", but I would like her to sound a little more "strong".

At this point in her life, she runs stronger than she sounds! :cool

But I hear some Chevy's come into the Ruby's Car Show sounding like they have disconnected the headers. :eek Great sound!

Now, generally they have not opened the headers!. So. Cal COPS are not that easy! :bash

Oh: And I live in a relatively "quiet" community! Not too quiet. My neighbors LOVE my car, and will live with some "noise".

So, my question is:

For less that $500, what should I do to "beef up" the sound of my 62 'Vette and still not get pulled over by the local COPS? If I raise the budget to a grand, any additional options? BTW, I do get "discounts" at my muffler shop! :beer

Thanks in advance.

Hal

:w

OH: Forgot to say I do have headers on my 'Vette.

Go For It

Nice set of turbo mufflers with at least 2 1/2" exhaust all the way to the back. If I had different heads, I'd be able to bolt on headers too KEN:t Next winters project, Friday the new front end goes on, stainless steel roller bearing king pins, next week the front disc brake conversion.

I'm assuming you're running the factory "oval" mufflers. In 62 you could order the "round" (off road) mufflers as a factory option. Offers a less restrictive, slightly louder sound, many suppliers carry repro rounds.

Another option are flowmaster mufflers for that slightly metallic
"rap", a sound similar to a rubber hammer on a coffee can.

Another way to go is chambered exhaust system (sidepipes under the car with full tailpipes.

You can use midyear sidepipes if yu like that sound. You cut and shorten them where they curve out so they actually fit behind the rocker panel out of sight. All you see is the chrome tip sticking down at the rear of the door below the rocker panel.

Try the round "off-road" mufflers - I had them on my '57 270 (all '56-'57s had the round mufflers), and they had a nice mellow throaty sound, and a nice "rrraappp" when I got on it. Neighbor-friendly, but noticeable and distinctive.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom