Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Wanted - 64-65 327 6 quart oil pan

Stingraynut

Corvette
65 FI Coupe
I am needing a replacement 64/65 6 quart oil pan for a 327; If you have one please send me a photo and price with shipping to 72201. Thanks!

Part located offline - no longer need this post

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a "six-quart" oil pan for a Gen 1 SBV8.

There stock two pans used on C2/C3 SBV8s. The pan you might be thinking about is the five quart pan introduced for '63 on the FI engines. Five quarts in that pan plus one in the filter gave a total oil capacity of six quarts. The other pan is a four-quart pan and was used on the low-perf. SBV8s.

Someone has got to be reproducing that pan, if you can't find an original one.

Also, that pan was designed to be used with a special windage tray which had to be installed with special main cap bolts.

The part numbers might be right but those Gen 1 SBV8 pans (63-65 L76, L84; a few 66-69 L79; 70-73 LT1) hold five quarts of oil. Add one in the filter and you have six-quarts capacity.

The confusion comes from a long-standing (50-yrs) misconception amongst the Corvette hobby about the capacity of oil pans. Back then, on Corvette, there were only two OE oil pans, lo-perf. (holds 4-qt) and hi-perf (holds 5-qt).

But hey...if you don't like the message, change the oil and filter, fill the engine with seven quarts of oil then, then see what happens at high-rpm.:chuckle

Last edited:
Oh Goodness! I must have posted my parts request in the technical assistance forum.....sorry, but if you are mistakenly reading this as a request for technical assistance, please forgive me, and instead consider it a request to purchase an oil pan for my fuel injected 327 with a Muncie 5 speed (since technically speaking it has four forward gears and that extra reverse one too...and to think all these years folks have been calling them four-speeds!) :D Seriously, I am looking for an original oil pan for a 375 horse 327 that some folks call a 5 quart pan, and others call it a 6 quart pan. If you have one you want to sell, let me know, as the original posts states, by sending a price and photo and maybe we can strike a deal - Thanks again.

Unfortunately, five qt. SBV8 Corvette pan I once had was sold before the OP in this thread.

I think you are going to have a tough time finding a used, genuine 360/375-hp FI oil pan. Your best bet is one of the reproduction five-qt pans.

Thanks, but I do not understand why you keep replying to my posts and do not have the oil pan I am trying to purchase? I know what I am trying to buy. This is a post under Corvette parts wanted or for sale, not a request for technical information. I never under estimate our Corvette friends who have gathered parts along the way and sometimes even sell them to keep that special Corvette alive, like the 65 fuel injected coupe we have. Reproduction is not what is being sought. That's why I posted my part wanted on this site and am now somewhat regretful. :hb

Try the Corvette Forum if you don't like the response you get here.

So I get this notice that you disliked my above post.

WTF?

I suggested the Corvette Forum because you don't like the responses you get here and the CF's section for Corvette parts for sale and parts wanted is much larger than that here on the CAC. If you don't find an FI oil pan here, there's gotta be one on the CF.

So I get this notice that you disliked my above post.

WTF?

I suggested the Corvette Forum because you don't like the responses you get here and the CF's section for Corvette parts for sale and parts wanted is much larger than that here on the CAC. If you don't find an FI oil pan here, there's gotta be one on the CF.

Sorry to be late in responding to this post.
It sounds like Mr. Halverson was only trying to be helpful.
I hope you have found the pan by now.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom