Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: wanting a shifter change

c3kidnoobie

Corvette
1981 two tone black & red
so ive being looking for a new shifter handle to put in my 81' ,, now i dont want to spend over a 100 bucks though.. i see some cool ideas out there but dont know if they will fit or not.. like ones that look like pistol grips.. can anyone send me some pics or ideas that i am looking for PLEASE! and thank you!

Auto or manual? I drove a friends trans am with a pistol grip and it was pretty fun.

its a auto.. i am just wanted to know if i can replace the original handle thats on there now for something different and if so any ideas or websites that allow it? cuase i know alot of websites say it will fit a 1981 corvette but then u get your product and doesnt even fit.. so jsut wondering if anyone out there know any cool ones or ones that will acutally fit an auto

Well, here's what I did with mine.

Had an old M/A 500 T-handle laying around for yeeaaarrssss. Similar to a Hurst. Took it work and had the huge hole welded up. Got it home and drilled and tapped a new hole for the release rod. It's a 1/4-20 thread. Grabbed my Dremel and sanded out the M/A 500 in the center and got a chrome Chevy emblem made. Painted the recessed area with some black touch-up paint.Also found a small piece of pipe and J-B welded it to the bottom to cover the threads from the release rod. Works pretty good and looks better. IMG00559-20110918-1428.jpgIMG00561-20110918-1428.jpg

I like it!

This is from a 75 trubo 400, easy mod $30. Just got tired of the stuid black ball
I really don't know what a 81 shifter handle looks like so not sure if this will help.

050.jpg

thats exactly what im looking for.. mine has the ball with that silver button on top.. where did u get that silver handle at?

I used a bridgeport to clean out the plastic slider and installed a 4 speed shift boot.

For the t-handle you could use most anything, the top button is 1/4 20 thread, the bigger threaded hole ( on the black ball ) is 5/8 fine thread i believe. If you don't have access to a machine shop, just take the black ball and what ever you want to put on and check out your local machine shops for an estimate. You just have to reproduce the specs on the black ball and add a set screw to tighten it to the shaft.

I used the B/M shift handle as it was left over from another project, i have seen dice and chrome balls added. I like it, works good, its different.

Procketus: Your handle looks great with the inset emblem.
013.jpg

011.jpg

006.jpg

027.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom