Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Washed Under hood now wont start

C

Corvette27

I have a 1990 with an L98 5.7 Litre and I washed the engine with foamy engine cleaner and water from my water hose, ran perfect before the wash job, now it wont start.... Anyone got any ideas???? I checked under the distributer cap, its dry, in fact I am getting good spark to the plugs as well... It just wont start!!! Anything that you might think would help I would really appreciate... Thank you..

did you check your air filter? you might of got it wet and it wont start or run good until its completely dry.

I took the air filter completely off and still no start... Thanks... Any other Ideas???? Thanks.... I wanna drive my Vette!!!!

How did you verify spark? Is it possible you have an impressive coincidence and something is wrong not related to the under hood wash?:W

How's the fuel pressure?

Try some starting fluid or carb cleaner in the intake. If it fires up you're not getting fuel. Look inside dist cap for moisture. doesn't take much. try spray inside with wd40

good luck

Verfied the spark by taking out a sparkplug out and hooking up to the side of the motor block, via, a strong clip. It had spark, weak but spark. It is getting plenty of fuel as well. I found the problem to be the coil... It had gotten wet under that stock black plastic cap the goes over the H.E.I coil on top of the distributer and coil... I pulled the coil out and WAH LAH, there was the problem, it had gotten water under the coil, there was still small areas full of water... I changed the coil and yyyeeeee hhhhaaaaaa it runs like a champ!!!! Thanks for all your replies and I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!!!! Scott West Coast Racer "Team 27 Racing" :D

Congrats on the fix. Always gratifying solving these types of problems. Did you check spark again after replacing coil?

Next time you wash the engine take a gal milk jug,cut out the bottom , cut a couple opposing slits up the sides and shove it down over the dist. Keeps the water off the top.Cover above dist needs to be removed to do this. Also avoid the top of the dist with direct water stream.

Glenn
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom