Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Washing your Vette

:confused :hb ;shrug

i get what your saying, about how zaino isnt really wax or polish, but if i used thier so called wax or polish its called Z-somthing, would it look shiny, and have that wet mirrorish look? and also be protected and not ruin the paint?

and if i used zaino i would wash, then clay, then wash again, let it dry, polish, let dry, wash again, dry, and then wax?

im not really one to get technical with stuff, if it works to my likeing, i dont care what they call it! :cool

So if I want the Show Car Wash, which is neither polish nor wax but it is a polymer that shines and protects, then when would I apply/wash with this? After the clay bar?

So it will only be a 2 step thing? Wash and then clay bar and then wash again? Assumed that "wash" is with the Zaino Show Car Wash?

TR

Justin -

Okay, to answer your questions: Will your car be "shiny" if you apply Zaino? Yes. (the shine factor is not really that subjective - a finish either has a nice shine to it or it is dull/lackluster That one is rather simple).

Will your car have the "wet" look from the use of Zaino? That criteria is a bit more subjective. I have seen Zaino'd cars in person, and don't feel that they possess the "wet" look that you ask about. Again, that is subjective.

Will your car have a mirror finish with the use of Zaino? Again I say no. A mirror implies depth. Depth is something that a quality wax will provide, not a sealant alone.

The general rule of thumb is that sealants/glazes provide great shine. "Pure" carnauba waxes provide depth and richness. What are you after?

I personally use both on my car; 5 layers of a quality sealant topped with a high quality wax. I receive the reflectivity of the sealant combined with the depth from the wax. The best of both worlds.

Anyway, your car will be protected with the use of Zaino, and it most definitely will not ruin the paint.

Your order of care is a bit off: you'll want to wash, (no need to dry before using clay) clay, wash (to remove clay residue), you really need to dry the car by hand and not "let it dry" as this leaves water marks that can etch your clear coat, polish (but there is no "let it dry" stage to this), wash (to remove the oils from the polish), dry by hand, and start your Zaino process.

Zaino claims to address hairline scratches by filling them in. I have seen Zaino'd cars and I'm not buying it. :( It's filling capabilities appear weak.

You should take a bit of interest in what products are called and why, it's in the best interest of your car.

:)

Stallion - the Zaino Car Wash is exactly that...a car wash. It is nothing more than a car shampoo/soap that was developed to go with the rest of the Zaino products. You will wash with this every time your car is dirty and needs a bath, and it can certainly be used during your prep. of the paint.

Washing and the use of a clay bar are indeed 2 steps, but it also depends on how you wish to address any hairline scratches if there are any. You may choose to try and let Zaino fill them in or try to polish them out with a true polish. If you choose the latter, please see the instructions that I have given to Justin.

Does that help?

Stallion said:
So if I want the Show Car Wash, which is neither polish nor wax but it is a polymer that shines and protects, then when would I apply/wash with this? After the clay bar?

So it will only be a 2 step thing? Wash and then clay bar and then wash again? Assumed that "wash" is with the Zaino Show Car Wash?

TR

Well, it sounds like zaino sucks then... do you know any good products to use for what im lookin for?

There is a picture of a vette in the gallery that has the look im lookin for, but i dont know how to put it here, but its on the very bottom of page 2 of the ZR-1 catagory, there are 4 pictures of the same car, and its exactly how i'd want my future vette to look.

Justin_cv87 said:
Well, it sounds like zaino sucks then... do you know any good products to use for what im lookin for?

There is a picture of a vette in the gallery that has the look im lookin for, but i dont know how to put it here, but its on the very bottom of page 2 of the ZR-1 catagory, there are 4 pictures of the same car, and its exactly how i'd want my future vette to look.

I wouldn't say that Zaino sucks. I have heard many complaints that Zaino doesn't fill surface scratches very well. I just don't think that is what Zaino is designed for.

What I have said all along is that surface prep is the key to all of the systems. If you have surface blemishes you should address (and take a safe way to eliminate them) before you introduce a waxing system.....

Justin - Are you speaking of the Torch Red ZR-1 at the bottom of page 2? Judging from photos is always difficult at best, but that "look" can certainly be attained through the use of Zaino.

That car appears to have a bit of time invested into it's appearance, and if that is what you are after you must be willing to do the same. What you put into it is what you will get out of it.

I would not say that Zaino sucks; there are many people that love it. But again, it takes time for the initial usuage and you will want to reapply after that at your leisure.

If you are looking for something quick and easy, try a cleaner wax (cringe :( ). I have never advised the use of a cleaner wax before, but it sounds like you really don't want to invest the time.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.....

Okay, so now I think I know what I need to do and in this order...

Wash (with the Zaino Show Car Wash)
Clay Bar
Wash (again, with Zaino)
Wax (to get depth and shine)
Wash (again, with Zaino)

Is this right? Is this a good way to go with? I don't want to polish, I don't want abbrasives.

Thanks! :D

TR

Well, almost. I have to question your use of the word "wax" in your 4th step. Are you going to go with the Zaino system? If so, then there is no wax involved.

And your 5th step, (wash) would not be necessary until the car was dirty.

Try this:

1. Wash/rinse/leave car wet

2. Clay (follow the directions on the box)

3. Wash (to remove clay residue)

4. Dry by hand

5. Begin the process that you have chosen for protection, be that Zaino or some other product.

If you are choosing not to use the Zaino line-up, then there really is no need to purchase the Zaino Car Wash.

Make sense?

I think I follow you. I'm going to go and look for that Zaino polymer that we are talking about and get back to you with a title of it so you guys can give me the go-ahead that this is the product that I want and with that and the Show Car Wash and clay bar and towel I guess I should be set.

TR

OK, I might confuse the picture, but I am going to sound in anyway!

I use Meguires because I have used their products for years, am familiar with them, & I have been pleased with the results. That is not to say Zaino (or other brands) is not equal or even better. I am just unfamiliar with their products & have not personally (that I am aware of) seen cars they have been used on.

That said, I believe that Zaino (and others) recommend that your first wash be with a wax stripping detergent like Dawn dishwashing detergent (yes it is a detergent--not a soap, but I won't go into the difference here). This is to strip all the old wax off. I personally have always used dawn for my first wash in the spring, then the rest of the year I use the wash that goes with the wax/polish/sealer system I am using. As a note, I have been pleased with Meguires swirl remover for fine scratches in the paint.

So for me: Dawn wash the first time--clay bar--wash--swirl remover (if needed)--wax (or seal depending on the system). I also use a touch up spray-on-wipe-off when drying between major detailing.

Hope this helps and not confuses TR.

For a better pic of mycar go here:my 1975 roadster

BTW,

I am really looking forward to this spirng just so I can take a couple days off work and detail my car for the warm weather.

yeah, thats the vette i was talkin about, and i would love to invest my time to get that same look, so by begin the zaino process you mean i keep doining it? the site said to keep applying layers untill you get what you like, so i would do the process you described in your last post, and then keep adding layers of zaino wax stuff to it?

im at thier site right now, and to my understanding i should do this...

1. Dawn Wash if wax, or Z-7 Show Car Wash
2. Use Clay bar
3. Wash with Z-7 Show Car Wash
4. Hand dry
5. Z-1 Polish Lok
6. Z-2 Polish for clear coats... vettes have a clear coat right?
7. Z-2 Again untill desired look??
8. Z-6 Gloss Enhancer for more of the look
and then your done right?

The guys before said that I shouldn't use dawn not because of my base paint job, but because I have the Silver Anniversary the two-tone might be a problem. Because the gray isn't really a paint (I don't think) and it's more of a decal.

TR

Stallion said:
The guys before said that I shouldn't use dawn not because of my base paint job, but because I have the Silver Anniversary the two-tone might be a problem. Because the gray isn't really a paint (I don't think) and it's more of a decal.

TR

You're right. I don't think you should ever use Dawn on your car (and Dawn says the same thing on their website!!). It is safe on your paint if it is protected. However, the plastic things that are around your car like trim, decals, cabriolet top etc. need the oils to keep them from drying out.

I am continually answering questions regarding the problems that Dawn has created on other cars.

Because of the Alkali in Dawn it is excellent for stripping oils off your dinner plates and also the oils that keep your plastic trim supple. Once those oils are stripped out of the trim the pours close up and you can't re-introduce the oils anymore. You are left with a cycle of treating it with yet another product like Back-To-Black.

Those who live in the hotter climates like FL, TX and CA know exactly what I am talking about. Once the oils are gone the sun can have a ball with your trim.

Zaino is an excellent product but they are dead wrong on this one!

I mean, people are so cautions about what they put onto their paint for fear of dulling it. The same respect should be given to trim. The sun and hard water can have some adverse affects on your trim as well but there is no reason to accelerate the process by using Dawn.

Think of it in paint terms.... many many Corvette owners won't drive their cars in the winter or the rain for fear of what can happen i.e. road salt, acid rain etc.

There is an excellent product that is designed for DeWaxing your 'Vette: 3M General Purpose Adhsive Cleaner. It is not safe on plastic trim either but you can control where it goes because you apply it with a towel.

About this de-waxing process, is this really necessary? I don't even know if there's wax on the Vette from the previous owner. You can't just wash w/Zaino and the wax w/Zaino? You have to de-wax?

TR

Here goes: Stallion - Don't waste your time looking locally for any Zaino products (unless you have a distributor that lives close to you). Zaino products come to you in one of three ways: Mail order from Sal Zaino himself (you must send him a check or Money Order via snail mail; the last time I checked, he was not accepting credit cards), you may order Zaino products from Eckler's (although the prices are a bit higher this way) or lastly, you may try to locate a Zaino distributor in your area and deal through them for your Zaino needs.

As far as the use of Dawn, it is better to be safe than sorry. Don't use it if you have concerns. Whil I do know of people that like to use it in order to de-wax once per year, there are other ways to de-wax your car. If I wanted to avoid Dawn, but did want to de-wax my car, my choice would be the use of Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. It is a very effective paint cleanser and does a nice job at de-waxing and prepping your surface. DetailingDude's advice is fine as well, it's up to you.

And is de-waxing necessary? Absolutely. The reason: Zaino will NOT adhere to a surface that contains oils. Wax contains oils. You state that you do not know if the previous owner applied wax, and that is all the more reason to de-wax as you really don't know what is on the paint. By de-waxing you are starting with a fresh surface, which is crucial to the adhesion of Zaino. Just remember to wash after de-waxing as well.

Justin - That procedure looks good. I'm sort of assuming that you also want to stay away from abrasives on your paint. If so, you may want to consider using Z5 inbetween stages 5 and 6 of your procedure. Z5 is supposed to fill in hairline scratches over time. I have seen Zaino'd cars and have not been impressed with it's filling capabilities. It's up to you how you would like to take care of surface imperfections prior to adding Z2.

Once you have reached the Z2 stage, yes, you can continue to apply the Z2 indefinitely. I know of some cars with 200+ coats on them. (The owner's are addicted :) ). Anyway, Z2 can be layered upon itself and many Zaino users like to continually add to it to increase shine. Be sure to allow for appropriate cure time. The use of ZFX may also interest you as it allows for more coats in a shorter period of time.

Remember to clay your car as needed throughout the year as well.

The appropriate use of Z6 is also wise. Z6 is a quick detail spray that is used in conjunction with the Zaino process. It is not a substitute for washing a dirty car, but is effective at the removal of light dust/fingerprints, etc.

Thanks for clearing everything up for me ;worship I have one last question though... do you remove the wax when you wash? or do you just wash over the wax with the Z-7 Show Car Wash, and then wax again if you want?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom