Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Water Pump Faliure

jpburks

Corvette
1981 Hardtop Midnight Blue
Hey everyone, my baby is killing me!! I have had her for about 3 months now and have gone through 2 water pumps. I have never experienced anything like this and am wondering if there is anything that could make my car chew through waterpumps so fast? Is there something wrong with my car or should I just move up to a better pump? Any ideas? Thanks!!

How have they failed? Where are you buying your water pumps? Sounds like the vendor might have quality problems.

Parts store "rebuilds" are questionable at best. Try a FlowKooler from Summit or Jegs.

And if you're running a stock engine or slightly modified, you don't need a high-performance / high-flow water pump. Those can actually reduce cooling efficiency (as I just learned this past weekend from Tom DeWitt).
:thumb

I have been buying Remanufactured from Napa. They come with a lifetime garauntee, but that doesn't help me when I constantly have to keep my car in the garage and waste a few hours replacing the pumps. :( I guess the only good news is that I have been wanting to replace my camshaft for a while now and this is the perfect opportunity. Any suggestions on both the pump and the cam???
Thanks again

...good news is that I have been wanting to replace my camshaft for a while now and this is the perfect opportunity. Any suggestions on both the pump and the cam???
Pump is no problem. Any decent brand from a place like Summit Racing should do you good.

Now, as to the question of "what cam"? :L
There is essentially no single correct answer. Cams are a very important part of the engine and you can't just go throwing any "high performance" cam in there without mucking up a perfectly working engine.
"What cam should I use" should really be a thread unto itself.
To give you an idea, I'd suggest using the search function of the forum to see what some of the other "cam selection" threads look like. You may find a suitable answer in there. Or just start your own thread.

If you start a new thread, be sure to tell us "Why you want a new cam" and/or "What you hope to achieve with a new cam" and "What are your current engine components (specifics/details)".

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom