Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

water pump/optispark in '94

deb

Corvette
Hi
We have a '94 that suddenly started leaking anti-freeze. It appears to be from the water pump and the car also runs rough now. I have read some really good posts about changing the water pump and something called an Optispark which may be why the car runs crappy. What is an Optispark? Also is it better to upgrade the optispark and retrofit the '95 version.

If anyone can think of anything else that should be replaced while this job is being done, i would appreciate your input. We are learning but we have a ways to go.

Thanks for everyones help.

Deb

Yes it sounds like your Opti got wet. The Optispark is the equivalent to a distributor in other cars. It is your spark ignition system. Mounted on the front of the engine ontop of the timing cover run off of the camshaft. Replace the watrpump, opti and a good time to do plug wires and plugs at the same time.
As far as the upgrade I can't answer on that. My 1993 original Opti had 133,000 miles when it went. I replaced with an original and no upgrade because I won't love long enough to have another one replaced if it last 133,000 miles. There are some good post on step by step repairs for the opti if you search some:thumb

Hi
We have a '94 that suddenly started leaking anti-freeze. It appears to be from the water pump and the car also runs rough now. I have read some really good posts about changing the water pump and something called an Optispark which may be why the car runs crappy. What is an Optispark? Also is it better to upgrade the optispark and retrofit the '95 version.

If anyone can think of anything else that should be replaced while this job is being done, i would appreciate your input. We are learning but we have a ways to go.

Deb

Opti-Spark

Hi

Deb
Go to C4 General Discussion, page 2. I asked about Opti-Spark replacement and got very good reply's. Worth taking a look.!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom