Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Water pump woes

MusclecarJohn

Corvette
'92 arctic white coupe
Hey everyone, I noticed a coolant smell recently in my 92
and after inspection I noticed the water pump was leaking, so then
my Nephew and I got to work on it and we pulled the water pump
and the opti, I ordered a new pump and opti from the partsladi
for about $500 for both, I just wanted to know what else I should
replace. It has a lot of oil on front of engine so should we pull the
timing cover also? she has 77,000 miles
so do you guys think it's time for new spark plugs and wires also?
I did do a search here on CAC but there were a lot of posts on this
and too much to read :confused so I thought I'd ask again, Thanks

My water pump leaked for about a week on my Opti before I got a chance to replace it, and I still replaced only the water pump. You could go in and replace all kinds of stuff, but is that needed, well, sure. I replaced my water pump at about 110,000 Miles. I have 43,000 added miles on it so far. I am thankful for distilled water.

I would do wires now as it's just easier and the plugs are coming to the end also. While in there check the idler and tensioner too. If they have any roughness or play get new ones.

Sorry if obvious... but you didnt mention hoses.. YOU'll HATE your self if you dont!

Charlie

Oil Leak

Clean off the oil and put you new opti and water pump on. Dust the with talcum or baby powder on the front of the block underneath the intake manifold. Drive the car and keep an eye on the powder to see were it starts to get wet. My guess is you find that the oil is coming from the intake manifold. If so the work you have already done will be undisturbed. I have had the intake off my 93 twice this year The second time was because when I put the silicone on the front and rear valleys of the block I did not wait for it to set for an hour and I also did not get the intake back on without moving it on the silicone. Second time I let it set while I mowed my yard and then I set the intake back on and finger started the bolts and went and had supper. My oil leaks are gone and the engine runs better without the intake leaking. I hope this will be of help to you.

Thanks you guys for the advice,
so do you guys think we should
replace the timing gasket and hub seal, I guess we may as well
John, how difficult to remove intake? weekend job?
We'll probably get back to it next weekend
so I'll probly have more questions

John, how difficult to remove intake? weekend job?

Total time to do the job for me was about 4 hours. I did not remove the fuel rails. Also I did not have the tool to disconnect the fuel lines so I just rolled the manifold up to clean and put the new gaskets and sealer on. Then I carefully set the intake back on the block when the silicone cured for a while. By leaving the fuel rails on the passenger side of the intake you will find it somewhat hard to remove the bolts for the tube from the exhaust manifold that is bolted to the back of the intake and the intake manifold bolt back there is a little tough to get to but it can be done. I prefer to leave as many things undesturbed as I can when disassembling something. Have fun and enjoy your weekend with the car:boogie

LOVELY, Thanks John :eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom