Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Water spots

Tims93

Corvette
1993 Polo green coupe
Purchased my first vette in January, 93 Polo green coupe. The paint still looks good for ten years old, minus a few scratches. The thing that really bugs me is what looks like hard water spots on the finish from sitting out in the rain. I only notice it while I'm washing or look closely in sunlight. Can anyone suggest somehting that will lighten these spots or remove them? I don't want to experiment on that dark green paint and end up worse off than I am, can't afford new paint for a couple of years. Which brings up a second question. I'm going to want to replace my weather stripping, should I do that before I have the car painted or wait until I'm ready, strip the old ones out right before it goes to the paint shop and then install new ones when it's done. Thanks in advance for any info! Tim

I'm not sure, but I think that claying might do the trick. You might try it on a small section...just a thought.

If it were me, I probably would wait until after paint to redo the weatherstripping.

Pete

There are a few things before I go and offer you a remedy. Do you happen to know what wax they used on the paint? Do they look like they are deposits that are sitting on top of the paint or do they look like etching that is below the surface?

I would take the weatherstripping from the car before paint, and put new stuuff on afterwards.

You have a few choices as far as the water spots go: the first "remedy" that I would try would be distilled white vinegar,
undilluted. If that fails you, then a quality paint cleaner would be my next choice. If that is of no help as well, then it sounds like those spots have actually etched the clear coat and you may want to repaint sooner than you thought, or seek out a body shop that may be able to wet sand them out.

I am of a different mindset than everyone else when it comes to the weatherstrip issue. Because I do not like things on my car to be damaged or in need of repair and not corrected, I would replace the weatherstripping now and not wait until the repaint. You state that you are not planning a repaint for a few years - does it bother you to look at cracked/worn weatherstripping now? Can you look at it without cringing for the next few years? I couldn't, and I'd therefore replace it now. That is just my opinion.

Thanks guys! I don't know much of the history of the car so I don't know what kind of wax was previously used. The markings don't look like they are on top of the paint so I'm guessing they are etched in the clear coat. Probably not a whole lot I can do then. Like I said initially the spots are not real noticeable and I can live with those for now, but I think Ruby is right, I don't think I can keep looking at the weatherstrip for a couple more years. Especially the one over the top of the windshield when the top is off. Sounds like a good winter project! Thanks again for all your input. I really appreciate it. Tim

Tim,

Personally, I would wait to replace the weather stripping when you have it painted.

As for the water spots. Can you feel them? And if so, how? That is, can you feel them when you run your hand over them or can you "catch" them with your fingernail. If the former, the claying should do the trick, if the latter, then they are etched into the paint/clearcoat and will have to be sanded out. Good luck.

Kurt

The markings don't look like they are on top of the paint so I'm guessing they are etched in the clear coat.
Perhaps not! What I am hoping that what they used for wax absorbed the damage. You say they are minimal in appearance so that is quite possible. What you have to remember is that layers of wax are verrrrrrrry thin if the water may have gotten through the wax but not into the clear coat.... I've seen this happes tons of times so that's where we're going to start.

Probably not a whole lot I can do then.
Like kfehling said, you're first going to want to clay the car.... well, wash first then clay, the use 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner which will remove all the wax, etc. At this point do a very thorough inspection to see what has happened to the spotting. If they are still there then, yeah, they're in your clear coat.

but I think Ruby is right, I don't think I can keep looking at the weatherstrip for a couple more years. Especially the one over the top of the windshield when the top is off. Sounds like a good winter project! Thanks again for all your input. I really appreciate it.
Winter? Where do you live, or are you meaning next winter? When it comes to replacing the weather stripping you're going to want to make sure that you're not having moisture issues inside the car already. If you are then perhaps now is the time to do it.

Thanks Detailing Dude, I'm going to try the claying this weekend, I'll let you know if it helps. I live in western NY and the summer here is short so lining up winter projects isn't to far out of line. I'm not having any moisture in the car and it stays garaged all the time now. I put new brakes and rotors all around when I got the car this winter so I don't have the extra cash for the weather stripping right now, but that will be my next project. I have to tell you though, I still love this car even with it's minor flaws. Just got back from an evening ride, absolutely beautiful out tonight. Thanks again. Tim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom