Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

water squirting on windshield

Mabolzich

Corvette
1998 Pewder Coupe-1986 Red Coupe
I'm the proud and happy owner of a 1998 Vette. A daily driver with 137,000 plus miles. I have a question about something unusual. Whenever I get on my car, not once, but a couple of times, i get a squirt of water on the windshield right in the drive line of sight. The car stays in the garage, not just washed, or rained on. It happens all the time and when I live the hood, I can't see or feel where it's coming from. ;shrug It's nothing serious, but confusing. Any theorys will be welcomed. By the way, where is the switch for the under hood lamp. I'm trying to get it to work. Thanks for a place to find some answers.

I suspect the simplest explanation could be that you are touching the windshield washer button either before or after start up. Watch the nozzle to see if it is wet. also place a piece of white paper on the glass and check the pattern and color. I had a friend who had a garden hose pinhole leak that shot on his car in the garage.
I frequently shut off the overdrive switch when i park my truck since the switch is on the gearshift.

Thanks for the reply. No leaks in the garage roof. I actually tasted the liquid and it is water, not squirter fluid. I know the difference because I ofter use squirter fluid when there's no vodka around. This happens when I get on the car, usually after the third time I floor the pedal. It seems to come from under the hood right in front of the steering wheel. Splashes a small stream on the windshield, about a teaspoon full. I've checked under the hood before I nail it and it's dry. I know this sounds insane and it dosen't seem to be affecting anything, but I thought someone else might have experienced this.

I thought it was when the car was parked. If it happens when the car is in motion, it most likely be coming from the plenum in front of the windshield. There may be some water inside the wiper arm or even in some plastic trim. possibly your drains are not clear and you may have some water settling in the trough. yes it is very strange.
I cant recall exactly, but I think the hood light is activated by a motion switch when you open the hood. Possibly when the headlights are on?? You may have a bad bulb or a poor connection/ground.

Thank you for your interest. That sounds logical. I'll check it next time I drive the car hard, probably tomorrow.

I suspect the simplest explanation could be that you are touching the windshield washer button either before or after start up. Watch the nozzle to see if it is wet. also place a piece of white paper on the glass and check the pattern and color. I had a friend who had a garden hose pinhole leak that shot on his car in the garage.
I frequently shut off the overdrive switch when i park my truck since the switch is on the gearshift.
there was a TSB about this problem on C-5s. check with your chevy dealer as there was a check valve to be installed as the stuff is coming from the windshield washer nozzles

There ya go. I knew I wasn't too insane. Maybe the wiper fluid was watered down when I tasted it.

I'm the proud and happy owner of a 1998 Vette. A daily driver with 137,000 plus miles. I have a question about something unusual. Whenever I get on my car, not once, but a couple of times, i get a squirt of water on the windshield right in the drive line of sight. The car stays in the garage, not just washed, or rained on. It happens all the time and when I live the hood, I can't see or feel where it's coming from. ;shrug It's nothing serious, but confusing. Any theorys will be welcomed. By the way, where is the switch for the under hood lamp. I'm trying to get it to work. Thanks for a place to find some answers.

Underhood light is frequently unplugged by people who may be leaving the hood up, for example if the car was kept on a battery tender. follow the power line down into the fascia and see if it is unplugged.

The light is new and plugged in and the fuse is good. Unless there is a break or a short in the wire and I don't see one, that leaves the switch and I can't find it. I better get a shop manual.

Underhood light is frequently unplugged by people who may be leaving the hood up, for example if the car was kept on a battery tender. follow the power line down into the fascia and see if it is unplugged.
FYI.....the ECM automatically turns off the underhood light after 20 mins. if the hood is left open. I leave mine open in my garage after every drive, and at car shows. It always goes out in 20min. The interior courtesy lights will also go out the same way if you leave your doors open. At least they do on my '98.

I believe there is a mercury switch in the fixture that holds the hood light. That may be the problem.

Thank you for the information. I thought there might be a mercury switch, but I heard that they wern't makeing them anymore. Well, I got out my trusty ohms meter and found power at the fixture. Funny thing, when I put the light in the power cuts off and when I take the light out I've got 12 volts on the dot. I fiddled around with it for a while and still the same. Light in-no power, light out-12 volts power. Kinda hard to work on the light, unless you're a bat. I'd like to pull the fixture off, but I don't know how. That's it, thanks for the info. on the check valve.

Thank you for the information. I thought there might be a mercury switch, but I heard that they wern't makeing them anymore. Well, I got out my trusty ohms meter and found power at the fixture. Funny thing, when I put the light in the power cuts off and when I take the light out I've got 12 volts on the dot. I fiddled around with it for a while and still the same. Light in-no power, light out-12 volts power. Kinda hard to work on the light, unless you're a bat. I'd like to pull the fixture off, but I don't know how. That's it, thanks for the info. on the check valve.
Remove the insulation pad attached to the hood by carefully prying up the numerous plastic buttons, then I'm pretty sure you can remove the fixture that sticks out of the hole in the pad. I don't have my manual in front of me, but I think I read that only a couple of screws/fasteners hold it on. Then you can examine it more closely. I can't remember for sure about the merc. switch, but it's in there somewhere, maybe in the bulb?

http://http://www.deq.state.va.us/export/sites/default/waste/pdf/pslvcms.pdf

http://http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=20097&dept_id=1115

Mabolzich

It's not in the bulb, I think it's in the little capsule under the bulb. I'll find out though. I ain't in the mood for pulling off the hood liner just now, but I'm sure I can get it to work when I take the light off. Thanks for the help.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom