Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

wax suggestions ?

My absolute favorite wax is Zymol! It is all natural and smells like bananas. It is fun to apply and does an excellent job on micro-scratches. It is a 200 year old formula created in Germany for
the royal coaches and funeral carriages. Its only drawback is that it doesnt last very long. But, hell what'd you buy a Vette for anyway?
My opinion of Liquid Glass - Extremely harsh aphilatic petroleum based solvent. It is good for removing oxidation and giving lustre.
It has the potential to get trapped between the clear coat and
the panit and create a thin void . Thus producing a milky leopard effect when the void gets moisture in it. Never to go away completely!

RjCj - The Zaino goes on clear and stays clear - no white spots to worry about.

Great stuff - people say it is expensive but you can get about 8 coats on your vette out of an 8 ounce bottle for $13 so that seems reasonable to me.

I am putting my Zaino order in the mail tomarow morning on the way to work. My wifes black Grand Am GT will get it first. Then my Vette.

Your initial question asks for a recommendation for a wax. No offense, but Zaino is actually not a wax, but rather a polymer. A carnauba and a polymer are like apples and oranges, they are rather different in several areas.

In the line of waxes, you have several different options available to you depending on the effect that you are looking for, as well as how deep your pockets are.

Personally, when speaking of waxes, I prefer Pinnacle Souveran. It is a high end wax with a high end price tag, but the results are outstanding. Cost is typically $70.00 for 8 oz., unless you can find it on sale. A close second to the Pinnacle Souveran is One Grand Blitz wax. Although it is a bit more difficult to work with than the Souveran, the results are very nice at a fraction of the cost. A tin typically sells for $15.00 or so. P21S may also be an option for you.

If you are looking for longer lasting protection (4 to 6 months) a quality polymer would serve you well. Two examples would be Klasse Sealant Glaze, and Zaino.

Typically speaking, a polymer provides reflectivity while a wax adds depth/warmth to a finish. I happen to use both a polymer and a carnauba on my car - 5 coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze have been laid down, and the Souveran is applied on top as needed. Topping Zaino with a wax has received mixed results by those that have tried it. Sal does not recommend it.

You have many options avaialble to you. You can experiment until you find what feels right for your needs/preferences.

So if Zaino is a polymer, does it protect
the paint from the Sun?

--If I use Zaino alone, will that protect the
car for 4-6 months and look good too? And
can I still use the Turtlewax Black wax to hide
scratches?

According to the statements made on the Zaino Web Site, Zaino will provide your finish with a UV rating of 40. Not all polymers will provide this protection, so read labels carefully if that is an important point for you.

Polymers are noted for surpassing waxes in durability, that point simply cannot be argued. Waxes evaporate and melt and don't stick around after too many washes either. It's simply their nature.

A quality polymer will not lack durability and should provide protection for your car for at least 4 months. What are you interested in using...Z5/Z2? Zaino can be applied in many coats over time, it depends on the "look" that you are trying to achieve.

The discussion of whether or not to apply a wax over Zaino usually gets pretty heated. Sal does not recommend it. Some that use Zaino on a regular basis have tried and liked it, others have tried it and have not liked it. If you do decide to go this route, you should keep in mind that the wax would have to be stripped (Dawn wash) prior to applying any more Zaino, as the Zaino will not bond to a waxed surface.

RubyDropTop,

You seem to on top of this Wax~Polish topic. I see you mentioned "Klasse" in a previous post.

I've used both the Red and Silver bottle Klasse for years now and I am really happy with the results. Do you have any comments on "Klasse" or any advice on use?

Thanks

A fellow Klasse user, that's always nice to see. :) The red bottle is the Klasse All In One, and the silver bottle being the Klasse Sealant Glaze. They are typically referred to as the "Klasse Twins" as it is felt that they work hand in hand and compliment one another. It is not necessary to use them in conjunction with each other if you do not wish to, though.

Klasse products have been around since the 1970's. They are of German origin. I am rather partial to German products as they are typically straight forward and perform as indicated. I have yet to go wrong using a German detailing product, but cannot say the same for several American product lines.

The All In One is a polish that works more on a chemical basis versus strong abrasives. The All In One will also lay down a layer of acrylic when it is applied. Depending on the condition of your paint, All In One can be used as part of your surface prep. It is not recommended that you apply more than one coat of the All In One as it is felt that subsequent coats actually remove the previous coat. All In One should be applied very thinly. I use this product by hand and apply with a foam applicator.

The Klasse Sealant Glaze is a high quality polymer. The Klasse Sealant Glaze can be applied as often as you like, but it is advised that you allow a layer to cure (following buffing) for 24 hours before layering again. Many people feel that they reach the "Law Of Diminishing Returns" with the Sealant Glaze after about 5 coats. Again, the Sealant Glaze should be applied in very thin coats. Thicker is not better. Allow at least 40 minutes dry time on the Sealant Glaze,

I always buff these and other products off with high quality microfiber towels. Some people do not like microfiber, or are just afraid to try them. There is nothing to be afraid of with a high quality microfiber towel (and there certainly are differences among them).

On my car, the Klasse Sealant Glaze provides a very reflective/dipped in glass look. While I do like this, I also prefer a car that has depth/warmth to it...and that is why I top the Klasse with Pinnacle Souveran. The Souveran adds a great deal of richness to the finish. It is not necessary to add a wax on top of the Klasse, however. It's all personal preference.

I really like the Klasse products, and think that they are top notch.

wax suggestions

Does Zaino bead or sheet the water off? How about MeGuiars characteristics in this regard? I've always heard that sheeting action was better than beading for preventing water spots when caught in the rain or under some errant sprinkler head in the sun (God forbid). The old Blue Coral used to sheet very well for a few weeks, but didn't last. Anyone have some suggestions on a polymer or wax that sheets the water off really well?

RubyDropTop

Thanks for the info.. I've used Klasse since the early eightys, I received the "Twins" with a 1982 633csi I had. No longer have the csi but still use the product on everything including the shower ;) and bathroom marble sinks and vanities.

BudD
:w

Meguiar's Gold Class beads; I don't know about their carnauba wax.

One trick is not to use a spray nozzle or use the setting that best approximates unobstructed flow. That way, most of the water will sheet off leaving fewer beads than if a mist spray is used. It also leaves a lot less water on the car.

Hi, I used ZAINO on my torch red coupe , and have to say it is so easy to apply , you don't have to worry about getting some on your rubber. I just put on a second coat it is just like a mirror . Expensive? It come's down to about $6.00 or $7.00 per application is that too much on a $45000.00 car ?????
( my 2 cents, John )

I prefer Mcguires. It has a product for every kind of paint situation. Where it showed me its results was on a black vehicle. It never looked as good ,even when it was new. the surface felt almost soft to the touch. The swirl remover when used with there buffing pad(with buffer) is out of this world and takes care of fine scratches and swirls. then i used the show car shine and followed it with a good hand rubbed yellow wax. :D....excellant....

I am on my sixth coat of Zaino...The car is like a mirror and water beads off better than any product I have used..Well worth the time and money..

Hell,
After 3 c4s..I like not fixing old sins from other owners..Get a new one if you can afford it or move to a different thread..
Regards

Hell, mister fricken perfect. Chill out........Damn little people going around screwing up poor innocent cars . Should be a law. .....All I'm really trying to say is .......nevermind it aint worth it.....
Here , wax this!! :booty

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom