Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Waxed windows?

WLS Ruby 93

Corvette
1998 Torch Red Coupe
I have been uisng Rain-X for about 25 years on my vehicle windows and have always been satisfied. It is always hard to remove without leaving a film so....

I viewed a YouTube video recently, (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6TVpVXzPA8) where a guy used Maguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax on his windows which is a lot easier to apply, (I use it exclusively on all my vehicles, camper and tractors included).

I applied MUQW to the rear and side windows of my truck with positive results. My question is has anyone used it on a windshield? I am concerned that it might not allow the wiper blades to function properly.

Thanks.

Keep 'em rollin'
Bill

Like you, Bill, I have used Rain-X for years. I have a friend though, that uses wax all the time, with no ill effects. I've heard that using wax on the windshield can cause the wipers to not be effective and skip, but I can not verify this one way or the other. I've heard the same thing about Rain-X on Corvettes, but I have not encountered it. I guess it is supposed to have something to do with the steep angle of the windshield. ;shrug And usually I don't have to worry about turning my wipers on when my windows are treated with Rain-X.

I used a product called Glass Wax came in a pink can at your grocery store worked good,really cleaned the glass!Don't know if is still around,used it alot on my c-3 show car.:beer

I've been using Zaino polish on the glass for the past few years and have not had any problems with windshield wiper function. It's like having Rain-X on the windshield when it's raining...you don't need to use the wipers! I had heard that Rain-X will eat away at the rubber on the wiper blades but I have no concrete proof of that happening. Anyone else heard of this?

I have been using Griot's Sealant on all my glass for over two years now, and have never experiences any issues. The wipers don't skip or chatter, and it makes it much easier to remove water and grime from the glass. Tim

I don't drive it in the rain (intentionally) so I don't ever worry about it. :)

I remember a couple of friends in the 70s that used Pledge furniture polish on the glass when cleaning their cars. I can't say if it helped in the rain or not, but it sure did look good.

Mark

I haven't used wax myself but I love Rain X and have used it for years and years.

The key with Rain X is after it hazes over and you wipe it down you have to then use a damp cloth or microfiber to get the window crystal clear.

I don't drive it in the rain (intentionally) so I don't ever worry about it. :)

Obviously you've never been to the C5/C6 Bash in Bowling Green at the end of April... it NEVER fails to rain for at least one day!!!

Rain-x is great...if you apply too much its harder to work with...I have found the canister of wipes works perfectly.

Chas

I've used wax on my windows for years and if it rains when I'm driving the water just turns to beads and rolls off.
A friend told me about years ago and I think it works great.:w

Aquapel works best

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom