Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

WD40 for vinyl squeak inside door seams or something better?

Roadster Guy

Corvette
1996 Roadster CE/LT4/F45
Hey, I hope everyone is enjoying the summer driving!

No rattles or problems of any kind for me which makes the summer cruising even more fun....except I had a couple of annoying squeaks on the inside of the passenger door in the vinly where the door meets the end side of the dash at the fuse cover. Seems the vinyl door parts would rub against each other and squeak a bit. When I would push gently on the inside of the door area the vinly would gently squeak, but the door interior vinyl seems snuggly secured. So, I sprayed a touch of wd40 into a couple of the seams and it worked after a while eliminating the squeaks. I think it slowly ran down the horizonal seams. I wiped away any excess and it seems ok. But I am not sure if this is a good or permanent solution.

Anyone had any squeaks there in the door seams or where the door touches the side of the dash? Or vinly or leather squeaks elsewhere that you fixed?

And does anyone have a better alternative to WD40 (white lithium grease?) or other suggestions?

RG

Definitely use Silicone spray. Vinyl is petroleum based, as is WD-40. Continued use would probably result in destroying your vinyl.

Squeeks

Later C4's have one side of a velcro 'pair' at many squeek points. My '95 has several places where the velcro is barely visible peeking out of the joints where vinyl would touch and squeek. The FSM indicates this is factory installed. The velcro has a self-adhesive on the back side. I can't see whether it's the 'hook' or 'mesh' side of the velcro pair that they used. Either would work. For black interior, a color match is easy.
A fluorocarbon grease is recommended for the weather stripping. It would function well where you describe. It won't go away unless wiped vigorously but may collect dust if applied too generously.
Hope it works for yours.

Later C4's have one side of a velcro 'pair' at many squeek points. My '95 has several places where the velcro is barely visible peeking out of the joints where vinyl would touch and squeek. The FSM indicates this is factory installed. The velcro has a self-adhesive on the back side. I can't see whether it's the 'hook' or 'mesh' side of the velcro pair that they used. Either would work. For black interior, a color match is easy.
A fluorocarbon grease is recommended for the weather stripping. It would function well where you describe. It won't go away unless wiped vigorously but may collect dust if applied too generously.
Hope it works for yours.
The Velcro used by the factory for sound abatement is the mesh (soft fluffy side)
As for lubing the weather stripping the factory service manual recomends dielectric grease.

MIke

I've always lubed the weather stripping and mine is still soft and like new. I picked up a can of the silicone spray to have ready in case any squeaks return in that door panel.

Yeah, I once had the vents out of the dash a while back for some reason and noticed the velcro strips in there.

Out crusising today and no creaks, squeaks or rattles with the top up or down. So happy now.... that squeak drove me nuts, even though my wife swore she couldn't hear it and said it was all in my head. If you're like me, when a new noise or vibration comes along, you notice it right away and know that it means something has changed, and usually not for the better.:eek:hnoes
RG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom