Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Weather Stripping Peeling

74bigblock

Corvette
2008 Z06
My weather stripping around both driver and passenger windows appears to be shedding it's outer layer.

Is this a common/known issue?

Thanks,
Dave

My weather stripping around both driver and passenger windows appears to be shedding it's outer layer.

Is this a common/known issue?

Thanks,
Dave

does it get allot of hot sun light?

does it get allot of hot sun light?

Car is 2 years old with 6000 miles on it. I can't say what happened before I bought it used in April with 4900 miles on it (origin was NY), but it currently resides in my garage and comes to work maybe 1-2X week.

This is the first I've heard of weather stripping fragging on a C6. Is there a special product that you (or the orig. owner) put on the rubber in the past? (For "protection" purposes?)

Can you post a pic of the problem? Is it in the corresponding location on the otherside of the car?
Roof replaced?
Damaged from "slimjim" use?

DSC00506.jpg

Mine is also doing the same but only on the drivers side. It looks like the gloss coating is coming off in spots along the top weatherstrip. I noticed it the first day I got it home from the dealer. At first I thought it was just a protective film coating from Bowling Green that would peel or wash off but that hasn't happened.
Since I'm no longer that picky fanatical person I was in 93' when I purchased my 1st vette, I just live with it!
If yours is to the point of distraction - take it in and get it replaced under warranty.
chris

View attachment 399

Mine is also doing the same but only on the drivers side. It looks like the gloss coating is coming off in spots along the top weatherstrip. I noticed it the first day I got it home from the dealer. At first I thought it was just a protective film coating from Bowling Green that would peel or wash off but that hasn't happened.
Since I'm no longer that picky fanatical person I was in 93' when I purchased my 1st vette, I just live with it!
If yours is to the point of distraction - take it in and get it replaced under warranty.
chris

exactly as you describe/picture. i'll call my service tech and schedule apt.

Mine too

Yep, I had the same problem with my 09 when I got it, it had sat on the lot for almost a year. I had the dealer replace it and it is doing it again so I am going to get it looked at this week and replaced again:W:W

My '07 has a small patch of shine on the drivers side. It is only the size of a dime. A judge hasn't noticed it yet by it is bugging me. Actually the exterior trim strips are originally gloss but GM applied a matt coating over the strips to dull them up, just like they did with the C4 center console. It appears to be the same coating. I plan to touch up the shiny area with an artist's brush and some matt black rubberized bumper paint. I'm sure others C6's will start to experience this too. If the chipping continues I plan to strip the matt coating off and leave it shinny like my C4. I like it better shinny. This matt coating is one of the weak point my C6 has over the C4. My '95 C4's exterior trim strips looks better than my C6's. Matter of fact the C4 hardware in general is of higher quality than the C6. I can't speak for the C5.

Just wondering, does this imperfection allow water to come in, or is this just a visual thing?

Weather striping

hi all i have the same thing peeling weather strips i am wating to hear from gm tomorrow my local chevy dealer told me that peeling strips was not coverd under warranty so i hope thay will fix it if thay dont how hard do you think it is to do ? any other fixs? thanks kraz

Any updates on this? My 2008 Z06 also sat on the lot for over 6 months before I bought her and I didn't notice the "peeling" until after I got her home. Actually I thought that the dealer just didn't wipe off the vinyl cleaning product evenly. I soon realized the error of my ways. In any event, I would rather use the word mottled to describe the weather strip's condition, but a rose by any other name ... and my weather strip looked just like the pic above.

I didn't want to take any chances with replacing the weatherstripping, so I tried every known automotive vinyl rubber cleaner and I seem to have modified the gloss to where it is a bit more even than before (or I'm just kidding myself after rubbing my brains out). :ugh

Your C6 weather stripping should be semi-gloss at best, not glossy. Also, this thred is addressing acutal peeling seal finish, not spotting/mottling. The ONLY thing I've found to make the spotting go away is to use a super UV protectant called 303. Google it. Other vinyl protectants that work great on my C4 do not work on the C6 exterior vinyl! The C6 vinyl and plastic is a different animal. Oh, also Ice polish also works but not as well as 303. I have a roadster and I have the same friggin' problem with the plastic surrounding the trunk opening. Every time it gets wet the seals and plastic get all mottled looking.

Hope this helps. Can you tell I'm anal? I show my '95 C4 and '07 C6 Lt3 Roadster often and I am very finicky about every square inch of vinyl and plastic trim. My C6 disappoints in this regard.

compyelc4
I don't know how I missed your response for almost 2 weeks, but I thought that peeling was synonymous with mottling. I guess that I have mottling on my windshield weatherstripping and yes I know about 303, I used up a a fair amount of the 303 Vinyl Protection liquid ($$!) along with Meguiars Vinyl Protection, as well as Adam's Vinyl Protection trying to remove the mottled effect and I think that Meguiars reduced the mottling slightly more than the 303, but none of materials really solved the aesthetic problem.

IMHO I would rather have the windshield weatherstrip appearance be slightly mottled rather than risk someone at the dealership replacing it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom