Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Weatherstriping Opinions

andrewc4

Corvette
1994 Polo Green Coupe
Can I get some opinions on OEM vendors for weather stripping. Currently I'm looking at Corvette Central for the front windshield and doors. I'm looking for ability to seal properly and retain the value of the car.

Search this forum with the word "weatherstripping". There have been plenty of posts relating to this.

What I have seen and heard is this: Go with OEM if you want your Vette NOT leaking. Seems that the OEM fits right the first time. Even tho they are pricey, they work the way they were designed to work.

Shop around for the best price. A lot of dealers are selling over the internet.

Save The Wave! :w

I purchased gaskets for my T Tops from Corvette Rubber. The fit was fine and they seem to work without problems. The material was not reflective of OEM, if you looked at a cross section if was more open cell material than the dense GM type.

I purchased a hood seal gasket from Doc Rebuild and it fit fine also. The material was also of the same open cell construction.

Bill

[font=&quot]The general consensus is use OEM. Try calling Chris May @ Superior Chevy 800-728-8267 tell him your a forum member and he'll give you a discount, and the great service comes at no extra cost. Chris is good people.[/font]

Got my weatherstripping from Corvette Central good price, good quality

At Bloomington Gold yesterday, I saw a complete set for C4 coupes for $399. Don't know who it was made by but aren't the GM complete sets usually in the $700-800 range?

From what I've read, some people have had good luck with non OEM while others just swear by OEM. It's got me all :confused

Edmond said:
At Bloomington Gold yesterday, I saw a complete set for C4 coupes for $399. Don't know who it was made by but aren't the GM complete sets usually in the $700-800 range?

From what I've read, some people have had good luck with non OEM while others just swear by OEM. It's got me all :confused

If it's the guys I bought the targa side strips from, SmartParts, (they were right next to the main building by the door), I'm having some problems. The front of the thing just won't seal and I have a 1/8 inch gap there. Of course if I bought the complete kit it may seal up fine. I did notice that the orignal factory strip had plastic pieces embedded in the foam to ensure the correct shape at the front and back of the piece while the new ones don't.

I'll do the passenger side this afternoon and see if I have the same problem on that side then it's off to HomeDepot to look for something to fill the gap.

Yes, that's them, Smart Parts!

Let me know how it works out. My weatherstrip needs to be replaced in the near future.

stu said:
If it's the guys I bought the targa side strips from, SmartParts, (they were right next to the main building by the door), I'm having some problems. The front of the thing just won't seal and I have a 1/8 inch gap there. Of course if I bought the complete kit it may seal up fine. I did notice that the orignal factory strip had plastic pieces embedded in the foam to ensure the correct shape at the front and back of the piece while the new ones don't.

I'll do the passenger side this afternoon and see if I have the same problem on that side then it's off to HomeDepot to look for something to fill the gap.

The passenger side fits in fine. I took a closer look at the windshield piece and can see that the drivers side has been pulled out to get it to go around the frame. Unfortunatly that piece is still in good enough shape that I can't justify spending $199 to replace it for a gap I can put some stick on foam into.

For what its worth, I'll probably go with these guys when I do the door seals next month.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom