Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

weatherstripping installed but doors do not close anymore

Jeroenvgfn

Corvette
1986 Black Coupe RPO Z51
Yesterday I replaced my weatherstripping,

all items were perfect fit and they look like they are the original GM.

after installing the door weatherstrips I noticed the door must be slammed to close properly.

after finishing the roof and pillar weatherstrips I tried to put the targatop back on but it was a NO GO.

after filling the swearjar with a couple of bucks I managed to get the top back on.

do these rubbers need some time to set or is this the final result ?

what were your experiences with weatherstripping installations ?

Had mine painted by the GM dealer. I provided aftermarket weather strip. Same thing. I am interested in what others have to say. My guess is that is why oem is 3 times the price?

Ah, the joys of weatherstripping. I did my doors recently with Steele rubber products. After sitting overnight with the doors closed, they seem to be back to normal. My issue with the Steele weatherstrip is that the material seems more dense than original and they grab the windows somewhat when coming up. I have been giving the edge where the windows rub a shot of silicone spray once in a while and they seem to be "breaking in".
Good Luck.
Chucklehead
Yesterday I replaced my weatherstripping,

all items were perfect fit and they look like they are the original GM.

after installing the door weatherstrips I noticed the door must be slammed to close properly.

after finishing the roof and pillar weatherstrips I tried to put the targatop back on but it was a NO GO.

after filling the swearjar with a couple of bucks I managed to get the top back on.

do these rubbers need some time to set or is this the final result ?

what were your experiences with weatherstripping installations ?

You will have trouble closing your doors after installing new weatherstrip. The new rubber has to get used to it's new conformed shape when the doors are closed. T-tops & targas too. Mine was the same way after I did it. Doors close fine now.

Have you given it a thought that maybe the door latches have been adjusted tighter since the car was new? This may have been done to adjust for leaks or wind noise. Just something that came to mind. ;shrug

Glenn
:w

In June I replaced the door weather strips. After the new w/s were installed the doors had to be shut more "firmly" (I wouldn't say they had to be slammed, but rather they had to be shut firmly) than before. In July I ordered the A and B pillar w/s and I had one heck of a time getting the top back on. I've had it setting in the sun hoping that the w/s will "adjust" but I haven't taken the top back off yet to check it out. Actually I've only had the top off twice before so it really isn't any big deal to me. The important thing is, that it doesn't leak, like it did before.

The car is now back in storage for a whole week untill next Saturday.

I will see whether the rubbers have adjusted themselves to their new environment :D

thanks for your help,

I was already having nightmares of ordering a new set and again have these stupid shippingcosts + import taxes + VAT :mad

but worst of all was removing them and cleaning these sliders , darn that was a B**ch to do.

What you are experiencing is perfectly normal. Guy

FROM A PREVIOUS THREAD I STARTED.

[I spent about 6 hrs. Saturday installing my new 'aftermarket' targa top weatherstripping. It was an exercise that tested my patience. The aftermarket stuff comes w/out the little internal wiring and plastic frames that come with OEM rubber.

The fit is not perfect on the passenger side and now I have a bit of a whistle working my nerves when I get the Vette up to speed. It also means that I'll have water in the car when washing it or if I'm ever caught in the rain.

I spent a good bit of time trying to re-adjust the w-stripping to better the fit only to have a worse fit somewhere else.
All of this after having aftermarket A & B pillar w-stripping installed.
Live and learn. Buy the OEM rubber folks. ]

The targa top was a bit hard to get in, but after a week or so and it being between 99-104 degrees here a coupla weeks straight, I did finally take the top out with no probs getting it back on.
The driver's door still needs a firm hand, but it does close. I'll need to readjust the passenger window cause of an ill fit. The weatherstripping is in as good as it was gonna get. Thanks to CAC member Rabbit, I've got good instructions on how to do this myself--when it cools off here.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom