Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

weatherstripping

mytoy

Corvette
1978 L82 BLACK
I am getting ready to replace all the weatherstripping on my 78 , I have heard that Corvette Rubber has very good ones , has anyone used these and if so what was the outcome thank you mytoy

I got the weatherstripping from www.riksvet.com about 5 years ago and it has held up well. Just cover the seats when you use the adhesive cleaner. I had to adjust the door glass for the best fit, but it was a pretty easy job. PG.

It's my understanding Corvette Rubber provides most of the weatherstipping to other aftermarket vendors. Most all of it is of comparable quality.

I can recommend 3M weatherstrip adhesive and weatherstrip adhesive remover. I've used both products and both are top notch.

Having the assembly instruction manual (AIM) is a great help.

:)

Wipe the weatherstrips down first with alcohol to remove the mold release compound, or you won't get good adhesion with the glue. :)

Wipe the weatherstrips down first with alcohol to remove the mold release compound, or you won't get good adhesion with the glue. :)

Really? I'm having a hard time with this one....... wouldn't that dry the weather stripping out? I have to put my new weatherstripping all over my 81 since we painted it. I did use that remover - you are right its great. And I have the adhesive.... how much adhesive do you use? Just little tabs? For the door..... do you have to sit and hold it in place? Any pragmatic advice? I know I probably only have one shot at this. On my camaros the weather stripping is held in my little clips that fit into the door but it doesn't seem to be so on the 81 so I'm nervous!

Really? I'm having a hard time with this one....... wouldn't that dry the weather stripping out? I have to put my new weatherstripping all over my 81 since I painted it. I did use that remover - you are right its great. And I have the adhesive.... how much adhesive do you use? Just little tabs? For the door..... do you have to sit and hold it in place? Any pragmatic advice? I know I probably only have one shot at this. On my camaros the weather stripping is held in my little clips that fit into the door but it doesn't seem to be so on the 81 so I'm nervous!

Have a roll of masking tape handy. Every 6" or so use the tape to hold the weatherstripping in place till the adhesive sets. Piece of cake!

Depends on the piece of weatherstripping, but, I used a 1/8" - 3/16" bead. Easy does it.

You mean, no playing in the goup? No smearing and squishing allowed? ha ha ha!!!

Okey doke, thanks muchas! Doing this next weekend then.

Ok - so I'm tackling this job right now. Got the pillar post weather stripping in - no problem. Everything else good to go. But this door weatherstripping looks like its going to be a nightmare. First it appears I'll have to slightly "stretch" it to make the two ends meet at their appropriate locations... and I'm having a hard time envisioning this is a one-person job. Can it be done or will four hands be better?

My other question comes to the mating of the door weatherstrip to the pillar post. Even if I stretch the heck out of it (which is another problem I'll describe below), it looks as though there is going to be a 1/4 to 1/2 overlap. What do you do with that?

My final problem is I can see where the larger piece on the door (piece most closest to the front of the car) goes over. There is a screw that bolts down and then there is another that appears that screws into the side but even if I stretch like crazy they aren't really lining up. Has anyone else had this problem? I can send you pictures if that would make it easier to decipher what I'm describing. I'm trying to figure out how to glue and screw while pressing like a mad woman down on this piece....

...My other question comes to the mating of the door weatherstrip to the pillar post. Even if I stretch the heck out of it...it looks as though there is going to be a 1/4 to 1/2 overlap. What do you do with that?...

Check the AIM. It's possible the overlap crush is correct.

...even if I stretch like crazy they aren't really lining up...

Seems to me the fit of the new should be closer than what you are running in to. Are you sure you have the correct weatherstrips?

Check the AIM. It's possible the overlap crush is correct.

Seems to me the fit of the new should be closer than what you are running in to. Are you sure you have the correct weatherstrips?

Whats the AIM? Yes, they are for a 78-82 vette according to the box they came in!! :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom