Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Website tech articles page

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
hi all

A number of you guys seem to enjoy and make use of the tech articles page on my website.
Just wanted to make you aware that I added a few more articles up this morning and also that I tried to organize the page a little better.

The type of file sharing page within my website building program that I use for this page limits what I can do to seperate or organize the files but I found a way to at least try to seperate and organize them in some type of logical manner to make things easier to find which I think was needed because of the growing number of files listed.

I hope this helps a little.

As always, if you need an article, help yourself. Clicking on the article name will open it and if you right-click on the article name it will allow you to download the article to your own computer.

http://69.253.166.197/corvettes/vettetech.html

Barry

A steering box rebuild article, just what I was looking for, thanks! :w

(Now if only they could explain how to remove a pitman arm that have become one with the steering box axle... :cry)

If your talking about removing the pitman arm from the steering box shaft you will have to rent or purchase a pitman arm puller and a socket to remove the nut securing the pitman arm to the shaft. If you purchase a puller make sure it is a good quality of puller as the pitman arm is pressed on there very tight. The closest socket size I found that fits the nut is a 33mm. I used a ½” pneumatic impact wrench to remove the nut and then attached the pitman arm puller. Using the impact wrench on the puller bolt I put some pressure on the puller then hit the puller bolt with a brass hammer, put some more pressure on the puller bolt with impact, hit puller bolt again. I repeated these steps over and over until I could see the pitman arm start to move off the steering box shaft. If you just hit the pitman arm puller with a good impact wrench chances are even with a good quality of puller you will break the jaws of the puller. Take your time it will come off. Also, before completely removing the pitman arm from shaft mark the shaft and the pitman arm so you can reinstall it in the same place. The steering gearbox and pitman arm have flat spots machined into them so they can be pressed on in different positions but there is only one correct position.
Brian

Thanks for all the advice. I haven't tried to hit the puller bolt like that.
I'm using a puller like this one...
19-1124_s.jpg

...and used a propane torch to heat the pitman arm at the same time, but no result.
Problem is the puller. With all the linkage, it becomes to flexible and starts to bend sideways when I apply torque.
Tomorrow I will take the steering box to work and try with a hydraulic press and heat it with acetylene at the same time.

Thanks for the update I use the articles alot.

hi Barry, I tried to access your site but either you or I seem to have a problem when opening articles it says the file is corrupted??
this site looks like it will be very helpful with future projects I have planned.
Mike

Accessing Your Website ??

Hi Barry, Is the link in your first post on this topic suppose to get you to your techncial articles ?? I could not get the link to work !? Appreciate any help or directions on how to do that. Thanx !!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom