Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Weed-eater Outrage!

Yes this is true

But this a small lot maybe 30 -40 spaces in front of the building. I always park back about a foot from the curb, just so hopefully I do not get hit. Here is part of the problem, the one doing the mowing going to fast for the area, attempts to spin around to go back and drops off the curb, hits ones car. Actually this is the same as a hit and run. It would not made any difference if one had a car cover or not.

Now as to the weed eater incident that may have been a bit different, but I cannot say as I was not there.

But it is a parking lot, not your driveway...precautions must be taken to protect your own vehicle...

Watch out for the lawn care people, I used to park at the very end of the lot as far away from others as possible. I continually saw lawn care people around my car and thought to myself they probly just enjoy looking at it like me. Later that summer one of them broke into it and stole my sun glasses. I know it was them because I was able to see the car most (99%) of the day out of our window and they were the only ones near it.

Most people just do not understand the level of atachment most of us have with our Corvettes. Many people view cars as transportation; just a way to go from point A to point B. What some of us would consider damage is just wear and tear of use in other peoples' minds.

My gardner did the same thing with a riding mower between the bushes and the car. I was freaked not because he was careless(he was)," it was in his way". Some people don't have any conception of value and care. The gardner is just "doing his job". Vette owners are passionate and compulsive, some more than others. I'd be more careful not to park it where it's in the line of fire. Good luck

Ya know what?? I agree with Tammy 100% here. I'm going thru some health issues with both my parents, and it's opened my eye's up to alot of things. You don't sweat the small stuff. You sweat the things like the cardiac surgeon whose holding your 80 year old fathers heart in his hand replacing all 5 arteries. Sweat the outcome that your mother will recover from colon cancer.
I take it you don't drive it much. Because if you did, it would get a heck of alot dirtier from road grime than what a weed eater throws around in the 8' space your car takes up.

If you want the pristine machine, keep it in the garage.

Chrisr said:
Ya know what?? I agree with Tammy 100% here. I'm going thru some health issues with both my parents, and it's opened my eye's up to alot of things. You don't sweat the small stuff. You sweat the things like the cardiac surgeon whose holding your 80 year old fathers heart in his hand replacing all 5 arteries. Sweat the outcome that your mother will recover from colon cancer.
I take it you don't drive it much. Because if you did, it would get a heck of alot dirtier from road grime than what a weed eater throws around in the 8' space your car takes up.

If you want the pristine machine, keep it in the garage.

Well said. I work in cancer treatment, and that has a way of changing a person's priorities.

DRTH VTR said:
Most people just do not understand the level of atachment most of us have with our Corvettes. Many people view cars as transportation; just a way to go from point A to point B. What some of us would consider damage is just wear and tear of use in other peoples' minds.

How true.

I wouldnt even consider driving my Vette to work, and yet there are a number of German cars that cost in the high 80s to 90s parked daily at my office, and those folks park on the gravel and dirt because it closer to main entrance. On a rainy day it turns into mud. Go figure

You can indeed look at a situation like this from all aspects- From the "Just drive the damn thing" to the "Oh my God, My Baby" type reactions. But sanity calls for some kind of middle of the road reaction.

Weed whackers can throw stuff up at an amazingly fast velocity, and can whip up some dirt along with the grass and anything else thats buried, so it can definatly cause damage. Taking precautions is entirely justified. And these guys arent fools, maybe the dumb ones who dont wear eye protection are, but most could put 2 & 2 together and know that these things can and will cause damage.

So in your case, with a brand new ZO 6, the landscaper should have kept his distance or just be extra careful, maybe turn the thing so the debris is spit away from your car.

Should they do this for any car? In a perfect world, yes, but I just think especially so if the car is new or obviously kept up well.

I would have calmly told him to make sure it dosent happen again. If it did, I would put a brush cutter attachment on my own whacker and run it down the side of his truck.

No I don't think you over reacted at all........lets face it It's an almost impossible task to keep any car pristene because of a couple of reasons
1. Most people just flat don't care about you or your car..... FACT!
2. Some are Pis*ed at you because you own a Vett and they don't....FACT!
3. If you don't stand up and take notice to keep your car in as great of shape as you possibly can.............WHO WILL?
Granted no damage was done but what about next time??? what if mixed in with the grass are little pebbles??? Window chips??? Chipped paint......???
I would have been just as angry as you were.....
My corvette is my baby and I don't give a hoot what any other auto owner thinks about me when I OVER REACT.....it's your Vett you do what you think you have to do to maintain it's beauty!!
Usually lawnscaping services do there thing on a given day of the week, maybe what you should do is the day of the week they are scheduled to do their job..........Park in a different location............Problem solved
Good luck!
just my 2 cents

Stupids

Look, the way I see it is that by you complaining perhaps you have saved the next guy from a similar incident. Myself, I point out to stupid people the stupid things they have/are done/doing. I try to do it nicely.

There are lots of idiots out there.

Matt

Do what I do, don't drive the vette on Mondays. Why, that is the day the landscapers come.
I have a friend who has 7 show cars. He says if you want to keep them perfect don't drive them. If you drive them you can't keep them perfect.

BoeingMan said:
Look, the way I see it is that by you complaining perhaps you have saved the next guy from a similar incident. Myself, I point out to stupid people the stupid things they have/are done/doing. I try to do it nicely.

Matt

While some may agree or disagree with you Matt, I really don't think the term Stupid is appropriate here, if you park somewhere and things like weed eaters, lawn mowers etc happen to be in the area....I don't think you can blame the owner of the car for being as you put it "STUPID"....how about we go with misinformed..........it's really a much nicer word to use and it tends to lessen the chance of someone getting "PIS*ED OFF" at you....
just my 2 cents

Blue92 said:
I have a friend who has 7 show cars. He says if you want to keep them perfect don't drive them. If you drive them you can't keep them perfect.

IMO this sums up this thread, cars are designed for driving, and meant to be driven. :lou
If you want a piece of art instead, save yourself heaps of grief, take a picture of it, frame it, hang it on the wall and then sell the car! - problem solved! :L

:beer Grant

I think you overreacted, and you should calm down. It's just a little grass. If they had taken the weedeater to your car I could understand your rage, but a few little blades of grass aren't going to hurt it. If it bothers you that much, park away from the grass next time.

78SilvAnniv said:
For crying out loud, what would you have liked them to do? Not mow a strip around YOUR car and then have a complaint about the crew not completing their contracted obligations to maintain the grounds?
Yeah, I think you over-reacted. It was grass. (sticks and rocks would be another matter entirely!) They have to mow and grass/dirt flies when it gets mowed, no matter how careful someone is. Don't park there on lawn-care days.
I sometimes think we get too hung up on the Corvette "thing". There certainly is a mistique about them, I love my vette, and everything it stands for; beauty, power, history and a goal achievement...but after some serious health concerns my priorities in life have changed. My philosophy about the vette now, is, "Chips Happen. Just drive it."
Enjoy your vette how you want to enjoy it. If you want to enjoy it in a pristine condition, you're gonna have to take extra steps to protect it.
Heidi

As usual Heidi you make perfect sence. Your husband is a lucky guy.:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingMan

Matt

Reply From Caddy

While some may agree or disagree with you Matt, I really don't think the term Stupid is appropriate here, if you park somewhere and things like weed eaters, lawn mowers etc happen to be in the area....I don't think you can blame the owner of the car for being as you put it "STUPID"....how about we go with misinformed..........it's really a much nicer word to use and it tends to lessen the chance of someone getting "PIS*ED OFF" at you....
just my 2 cents

Reply From BoeingMan

I wasn't refering to the driver as the stupid one. I stand by my original post.
...and yes I know, old thread.

Matt

I think a little over react. No doubt I would be annoyed too however the guy was just doing his job and your car was in the way, he did not damage your car either. So some grass got all over it... What was his option? He could not come in and get you to move the car just so he could do his job...

And to threaten him about losing his job! Come on! Again he was doing his job and cannot control the flying grass. Sure crap happens and it sucks but he did offer the leaf blower which would not have touched your car either. He could have walked away and did or offered nothing to you.

Next time he may even look for your car since he knows it will pis-s you off. I feel for the guy since you probably make 3 times what he does, he did not touch or damage your car and did not deserve the job threat. :eyerole As the owner YOU need to park where it will be out of harms way, do not rely on others to watch your car because they will not and do not care about your stuff. Put a car cover in it next time if it really bothers you that way you will be protected from pollen and bird poo too. And your paint was dry hours after the car was sprayed, that is the beauty of paints today.

The next time it happens-or they get "too close for comfort," just hit the "ALARM" button on your key fob. The lights will flash and the horn will honk! (I use this all the time when I am at the coffeehouse. You'd be surprised how close people will back up to you while parrallel parking their crummy cars.) I even did it too a guy from Czech Republic whom was taking pictures! (He ran away!) He came back a half hour later and I gave him a ride in it after we had a good laugh.

I was there yesterday and a old lady hit a parked cop car. The cop was ****ed big time but she only had this too say,"I only put a small dent in your car, I do it all the time!" The cop was about to explode at this point. Unbelievable!

Grass

It probably wouldn't have happened at all if you had parked where you were supposed to.:eyerole

It probably wouldn't have happened at all if you had parked where you were supposed to.:eyerole
Hey, Norseman, that is a pretty know-it-all attitude for someone who wasn't there and apparently didn't even read my initial post. Let me clarify, both for you and for some other commenters:
First, I was appropriately parked, in my reserved spot.
Second, IT WAS NOT GRASS OR A LAWNMOWER--it was landscaping plants being cut with a weedeater (no set schedule, not predictable, and not just grass clippings).
Third, I had only had the car three weeks. I don't ever buy a car as a garage decoration. It is a daily driver, but I don't think the paint was even fully cured at that time (yes, I am aware of the paint baking process).
Fourth, I think some of the comments were made by people with older cars--well broken in--already got the first scratches, chips, even faded paint. That is a bit different from a brand-new car (and I generally bought used in the past).
Fifth, I'm sorry about someone's Mom and Dad, and in fact, my Dad died early this spring, but this isn't a cancer and heart disease forum. Are you saying that as long as anyone in the world is sick, my priorities are messed up if I care about my Corvette???

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom