Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Western Wheels

slyone1000

Corvette
1971 LT1
I know they are old.......so I thought I would Jazz them up and put them back on. Went through and Bead Blasted them. Then Taped them up. Powder Coated them Chrome, then Candy Blue, The Clear coated them with Firemist Blue Sparkles. The Last one is the final product with the spinner. No Tires yet, I dont know the size I will need........

Awesome! I always liked those wheels. I realize they were aftermarkets from the 70s but they look good on a C3 and kinda sorta remind me of the C2 knockoffs (which I also like).

I'm 98% sure they weren't but has anybody ever made wheels that look like this in a 16 or 17" diameter...???

As to tire size - presuming these are 8" wide and of the correct offset - for a '71 225/70R15 would be your best tire size choice for a number of reasons. The 215/70R15 is the 'correct' size but by modern standards no longer considered appropriate for an 8" rim (too small). Many will likely suggest 255/60R15 but two warnings: 1) there is more than a good chance they can rub on an early C3 and 2) there's virtually no (exc Pirelli) good performance oriented tires in this size. 225/70R15 does offer a good handful of performance tire options and should be considered the standard tire size for all 69 on C3s.

Nice wheels!

I would love to have a set of those for my 78 vette. I love how the original wheels look on the c2's. Just did not want to put c 2 wheels on a c3 and they are very expensive.

Any sources on purchasing a set of these wheels?

LOL......Those are not Stock......they were made by Western Wheels......who are no longer in Business. They also do not need any wheel spacers. And If any one has a set they would like to get rid of.........send them my way....I will be glad to take them off your hands. These are the 15x8.5. The spinners on them are from Rallyee.

I realize they are not stock for a C3 and they are aftermarket.

I was referring to the fact that I like the look of the wheels
and I thought that a C3 might not look right with C2 knock off style wheeels.
Not to mention for the price of reproduction C2 knock off style wheels
can get you just about any wheel available.

billyvette is right - it's a very good looking look for a C3. It is reminiscent of the C2 knockoffs and the early C3 optional wheel covers.

I'd REALLY like to see a wheel design like this in 17X8s for that matter - be curious to see what it would look like on a C3. I think Western did some 16" versions but likely for a truck or something. Oh well - just wishful thinking on my part. :)

FYI beyond the cost issue, the C2 wheel is 6" wide - 2" narrower than a stock C2 wheel.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom