Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wet Plugs

S

Stryker_78

I tell ya if its not one thing then its another. I pulled the plugs and 6 & 8 have oil on the electrodes. Just a bit mind you. The rest of the plugs are all carboned up. They have a mere 1500 miles on them. They are AC Delco Rapid fire plugs.(incase you were wondering) :)
Does all of the carbon mean I am burning too rich? The oil on the 2 plugs means what? Oil rings gone on those 2 cylinders?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Scott :w

Stryker,

Generally black, heavily carboned, plugs would indicate a rich condition. As to the oil fouling, I would suspect valve seals before I said ring job. You should however do a compression test to verify the condition of the rings and cylinders. A weak coil could also contribute to the black plugs you are seeing.

Thanx for the response Dale. Is the richness adjusted with the 2 nipple type screws located on either side on the front of the carb?
I will get a compression test done aswell. Was thinking of doing it awhile ago actually. :)
As for the coil, it is a new coil rated for 50,000 volts.(pertronics coil)

Thanx again Dale.

The car is finally road worthy. The cleaning of the plugs, new wires and a SERIOUS timing adjustment and it is running just like I expect. As for the timing issue, it was advanced about 30 degrees. Not sure how that haapened. Maybe when I put the new distributer cap on, I might have moved it somehow. Oh well, live and learn.

The wet plugs I figure was from runoff from when I adjusted the rockers with the valve covers off. Man what a mess of oil. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom