Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Whacky Climate Control in my 1996 ????

B

Black Ice

My automatic climate control seems to have a mind of its own lately. Sometimes it works fine and other times it "Locks Up" and the buttons wont respond. I also sometimes get heat even when I have the temp set on 60. Usually when it locks up when I press Auto It starts working again, but sometimes not. Then some time its just fine...Can anyone help?

This sounds similar to what my Bonne SSE was doing early this spring. Check your freon level. The system goes bonkers with low freon. On the GM system (at least the Bonne) it is a failsafe to save your compressor. Since a refill the problems like your's have not returned. Just a hunch.

On a related note:

Does anyone know where the "outside air temp." sensor is located? The one that shows the outside air temp. on the electronic display for the heat / a/c ?

Mine seems to be about 10 degrees low. and usaully sticks on the same number for a long period of time.

Sorry to butt in on your post "Black Ice":BOW

Very interesting, I will have it checked.

I agree low refrigerant will cause the auto temp control to go crazy. Mine did the same thing after I added some refrigerant, I disconnented the battery for a few minutes now its working fine. If you had just a small glitch I think the computer remmenbers ,so give the battery disconnect a try good luck Jim

The electronic A/C control on my Grand Sport does a similar thing. The "Auto" button always works but sometimes the others will not. The module with the buttons and display is a remote "head" to the controller. This module communicates with the controller via a serial data line.
I read on some site that someone had a similar problem and by unplugging it and re-installing (maybe cleaning the contacts) it started to work better. I haven't tried this yet but I will. It is not too difficult to remove the I/P accessory trim to get to it. Because I drive mine mostly in the summer with the top off, I almost never need it!

PS for Fastglass95: the outside temp sensor is in a plastic shroud on the right side of the car in the air intake at the bottom, in front of the condensor coil.

Dennis said:

PS for Fastglass95: the outside temp sensor is in a plastic shroud on the right side of the car in the air intake at the bottom, in front of the condensor coil.

Thanks,
I'll look into it!

Yes Dennis, We are having the exact same problem it would seem.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom