Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What about re-painting?

A

addicted

Ok, I got my first vette this year (I know it will be the first of a few....) and it happens to be a 1978 Pace Car. 47,000 miles on the speedo, runs great, no major issues I can find. However, the paint is in poor shape, lots of chips on the nose and in the gray in front of the rear wheels. The original owner used it as a daily driver in the the early 80's before it got "retired" to the garage.

I plan on keeping the car for many, many years, so would there be a reason to not have it repainted? If I was to show it, would it get marked down for having new paint?

Just looking for opinions.....thanks....

First... Welcome aboard!

Is it your plan to paint it the same color with the all Pace Car stuff?

welcome to CAC!!!!!:CAC
good luck the the pace car vette!!!

when you say 'show it',do you mean at local car shows or are you talking about having it judged at an NCRS event?????

Thanks for the welcome.

If I paint, it would be identical paint scheme with new decals, etc.

As far as shows, just local stuff, nothing major. Its just as a newbie you get so many different opinions on things, I thought I would ask those more in the know.

FWIW: I would not repaint her if I didn't have to. What's on there now is the original acrylic lacquer and the original decals. Due to air quality standards, you can no longer legally shoot the old lacquers in many locations. If you repaint, you will probably have to go to the new base coat/clear coat paints. Unless you find an NOS set of the original PC decals, you'll have to go with a reproduction set.

Go here http://www.corvettepaintcodes.com/ for the codes for your original silver and black. Your automotive paint supplier should be able to take the old codes and mix new paint for you.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom