Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What are you getting for gas milage?

Don Rich

Corvette
2002 Coupe Mag Red, 1976 Corvette Dark Brown
My 2000 Cpe with a six speed and 35,000 miles gets between 27 and 31.8 MPH at 70-75 mph. The engine turns about 1500 - 1600 at these speeds.

My newer 2002 Cpe with an automatic transmission and 3,500 miles only can
muster 24.6 at best going 70-75 mph. I see that the engine turns about
1900 to 2000 rpms.

I don't know why the big differance between the two cars. They should be close shouldn't they?

Thanks Don in Mystic, CT

Twenty five - thirty miles per gallon? Sheesh, I wish!!!

I figure I'm somewhere in the 10-12 mpg range, depending on whether it's highway, or stop and go.

30 mpg on the return trip from Richmond, VA to Biloxi, MS

Have not watched my city driving..

28 mpg on a few hunderd mile run. Around town mabe a tank every few days. I must have heavy shoes.

The bulk of my driving is around town in stop-and-go situations. I've found that I tend to average 16-17 MPG.

:w
-Patrick

Could the cause of the rise in engine rpm's be due to the rear gears of the car? I see that one was a stick the other auto. I am sure somebody might know if there is a difference? Not to brag but with the top up 70 mph I can get upwards of 25 and a half mpg.

Good luck finding the answer

Craig

Gas Mileage

I average 24 with combo highway in town. When just on Highway it is better than 29 according to the DIC, I just never do the highway alone. 98 with MN6

I have a 6-speed with the 3.42 rear and was getting 22+ around town until it got cold then it has dropped off to about 20 around town. Highway I have seen between 24.5-28. depending on speed it likes 75-80 for some reason
I also have a lead foot

I've been getting 23 around town, only highway trip so far got 26 but there was a fair amount in city in that 26 MPG.

CORed91 said:
The bulk of my driving is around town in stop-and-go situations. I've found that I tend to average 16-17 MPG.

-Patrick
Me too.

I don't usually watch the instantaneous MPG. Don, is that what you're referring to? The MPG cruising at around 75 mph?

What is the cause for the difference in RPM's at the same speed? Could the chagne from manual to auto do this?

Craig

Probably because the automatics have a lower higher rear axle gear ratio, and the torque converter is not locked up until cruising speed. My 98 auto gets a maximum of 26 MPG on the highway. My 82 gets 24.6 on the highway.

What are you all whining about?? I get a whopping 8 mpg City and 9 mpg HWY (if and only if I keep her under ~65; over that and I get about 5-7MPG HWY) ;LOL :cry

Gas Milage

MsSchroder said:
Me too.

I don't usually watch the instantaneous MPG. Don, is that what you're referring to? The MPG cruising at around 75 mph?

No I am using the average MPG.
On a recent trip from Mystic, CT to the Corvette factory in Bowling Green
the running average for the 2100 mile trip was 31.8 MPG.

We thought that the computer was off so we checked the milage manually (Miles devided by gallons = MPG) and found the the DIC was correct.
also wwe checked the odometer over 100 miles and it was correct to the tenth.)

I see that the rear end gear ratios are differant for the 6 speed vs the auto
which would account for the higher engine rpm's on the automatic.

Don.

I got 29.5 MPG round trip to Carlisle last summer. 875 miles total, includes local driving in the Carlisle area!! ( I have a stock 2001 6 speed w/13k on it)

Don Rich said:
My newer 2002 Cpe with an automatic transmission and 3,500 miles only can muster 24.6 at best going 70-75 mph. I see that the engine turns about 1900 to 2000 rpms.
Ouch. My new '04 Conv got 29 mpg on a 2800 mile trip in Nov. It is a new car, had only 900 miles at the start of the trip, so is not yet broken in. Should get better then. It is an auto. Has the 2.73 gears.

tom...

Unless your Auto has the performance axle ratio it should be a 2.73:1 I believe, if it is a performance it is a 3.15:1. The 6-speed should have a 3.42:1, however, with the 6-speed, 5th and 6th gear are both overdriven ( I don't remember the exact ratios, but I believe 6th is close to 0.6:1). With that in consideration, you should get better fuel mileage from the 6speed than the auto. I have not driven any 6speed vettes for extened hwy miles, however, I have driven a 94 Z28 6speed and 2000 Z28 6Speed and both got high 20's on the hwy.

Brett

74bigblock said:
What are you all whining about?? I get a whopping 8 mpg City and 9 mpg HWY (if and only if I keep her under ~65; over that and I get about 5-7MPG HWY) ;LOL :cry
;LOL;LOL thats why I call my C-5 my economy car, the 76 got 9-10 around town and I was filling it up 3 times a week the C-5 only gets filled once a week :D at @ $65.00 a week for the 76 vs $28.00 for the C-5 thats a savings of $38 a week x4 = $152 a month which is not quite half my payment
on the C-5 so you see they almost pay for themselves ;)

CORed91 said:

-Patrick
Me too. I get about 27-28 on the highway at 70-80MPH.

I always seem to stay around 23 mpg in town and 31 mpg on the longer trips. Going from Reno to SFO and back I got 31.6, and thats at 75 mph through the Sierras.:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom