Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What brake pads for a 1996 C4 ??

Alex D

Corvette
2004 Coupe A4, Mag Red II
I need to get a set of new brake pads for my 96 LT1 C4 to mount with my drilled Power Stop rotors in the front (rear will come later).
PowerStop recommends the 9-1-1 pads for these rotors.
I have heard much good about the HAWK pads here.
EBC has a good following. Green stuff would be for me.
Ford Cobra pads are identical to the GM OEM pads, but half the price.

I am not racing this Vette. Regular street use only.

What is your recommendation for the best, relatively dust free street pad???

Thanks!!!

Any performace pad is going to dust more than a OEM pad. For normal street driving use the OEM pads, they work fine.

Not what i use by should work fine your needs.

I disagree, respectfully, with CKA.

I put hawk pads on my 1993 last fall before a road race. They
perform at least as well as stock, but with noticably LESS dust.
I am very happy with them. Purchased thru Zip corvette.

HAWK pads are now the cheapest at Thunderracing........$74.......they are sold as the 1994-2000 Cobra pads, which are identical to the C4 pads. The cheapest way to get decent pads for the Vette is buyng the Cobra pads from Ford.......they are around $43 for the set..........

I went with Raybestoes Pro pads for my 85...new rotors and pads. The work great and produce very little dust. I could not be happier with the performance.

sothpaw said:
I disagree, respectfully, with CKA.

I put hawk pads on my 1993 last fall before a road race. They
perform at least as well as stock, but with noticably LESS dust.
I am very happy with them. Purchased thru Zip corvette.

Wow, your the first person i've heard of that did not complain about the hawks or any other high performance pad not dusting more than OEM. But if you are speaking from experience then I have every reason to believe you.

What kind of hawk pads, what's the Hawk part number?
Thanks

brakes

I'm quite happy with my raybestos brute stop pads
i would estimate about 20% better stopping
performance and much better fade resistantance but that's subjective....my opinion..in any case I'm very happy with them.
On another note I recently read an article stating that cross drilled rotors are really a big waste of $$$ on road cars.
They are much more prone to shatter because the rotors are less structurally sound ...and the cooling advantage is really not significant....it's all a big lie it seems...anyone got some facts on this???

ps: I'm from Canada but I support this war and the troops.
God bless America.

Where do you all buy the Raybestos pads......I thought they are the OEM supplier for the stock C4/Cobra pads.....I know that the stock pads contain copper or brass......noticed that when cleaning my calipers the other day with NAPA aluminum brightener..that stuff contains several acids (hybrochloric and sulfuric plus then some) which clean the aluminum to brand new shine (GREAT STUFF).....and that stuff also attacks the copper/brass in the pads and turns the stuff on the surface of the pad green......wears right off when you break the first time, but shows that the original pads are semi-metallic.........

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom