Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! What brand wheel hub?

vettebob

Hey guys, sorry if this has been beat to death before....

I need to replace the rear wheel hub assemblies on my C4. I know I should buy the Timken hubs but at $110.00 each that is outside my budget at the moment. But then I don't want to buy Chinese junk for on the car either. Are there any other quality brands that would be trustworthy? There are numerous offerings out there for half what the Timken hubs cost but I don't want a hub coming unglued at high speeds on me!!
Help!
Thanks
VetteRobert

No offense but if the cost of a rear hub at $110 scares you. You may want to reconsider Corvette ownership. Maybe even reconsidering owning any car because that is cheap compared to MANY ordinary vehicles sports cars or not.

That being said RockAuto.com has some great deals even with the shipping. They are showing a National/Moog Part # 513020 on closeout for $65.79. I would NOT buy the el cheapo crapo $40 ones. I have one of these National branded units on my 93 and it is still tight even after 2+ seasons of auto-x. Stay with known brands like Timken/Moog/SKF/etc....if it seems generic then it is.

I knew I would get some answers like this. But at $240.00 to service the rear wheel bearings, plus $320.00 to service the front, plus about $120.00 for the four half shaft u-joints, well, 680 bucks for basic service items (PARTS ONLY) seems pretty high even for a Corvette. I've done virtually all my own mechanical repairs for all of my life. I wouldn't even want to know what it would cost to install these items these days.

But, I finally have the car of my dreams after owning many, many other hot rods, so I'll hang in there....

Thanks for the info,
vettebob

Parts costs

Bob

If you think those prices are too high, then better to park the car till you can afford the price of quality parts rather than risking cheap parts failing. You're putting your and your vehicles safety based on the quality of those parts. New replacement Timken's all around for mine would be $450 from RockAuto, and I just replaced the half shaft u-joints with Moog's and they were around $120 for all 4 shipped. This is one of those areas where you get what you pay for. If you cheap out now, you'll likely have to replace cheap units sooner rather than later, assuming you don't have an accident based on those parts.

It could be worse, the front rotor/hub assembly on my 4x2 truck run $270 each and that's definitely a lot more than for a Vette.

My 2 cents.

Hang in there Robert with two teenagers and four cars in my driveway I feel your pain!

Yeah, bad time for me. Disabled and living on a low fixed income, just had to move to a new city 200 miles away, getting divorced, and I have my 8 year old daughter living with me. Pretty stressful. But I still love my Vette!

vettebob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom