Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What did you miss?

corvette1976

I am possibly buying a 1968 corvette PROJECT and was wondering what were some of the things that you guys missed when you bought your corvette or other cars? For example i have a 1976 corvette that when buying i never looked under the flour mates to see the holes in the carpet and surface rust on the floor pan; which later on caused problems down the road.

Also if anyone knows anything about the 68 that a should look for or be aware before buying it would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Be sure you know exactly what's there and what isn't before you buy it - 68's have hundreds of one-year-only parts that simply aren't available, and as a result are VERY difficult and expensive to restore correctly.

:beer

Kevin... if you're looking to buy a '68, take a look at this Buyer's Form from the CAC Tech Center. CAC Buyer's Form It may help you not to forget things you should concentrate on when shopping.

:wJane Ann

...Be sure you know exactly what's there and what isn't before you buy it - 68's have hundreds of one-year-only parts that simply aren't available, and as a result are VERY difficult and expensive to restore correctly....

I agree. Do your homework and know what you're looking at/for when you take the look-see. This helps:

C3BuyersGuide-1.jpg

Worth the price of a copy.

Good Luck.

:)

Thanks, unfortunately it is has a 327 but that''''s double the horses I have now one my 1976 L48. He is selling it for 3,500 with all the parts.

1171f6120ZZZZZZZZZ89s86870e38929e10.jpg

12a1421gaZZZZZZZZZ89s100a48e56e3a1a.jpg

1f613c143ZZZZZZZZZ89s67c7c5f7f3ba1b.jpg

I know it is going to be a project but i want to restore something that I know is perfect and reliable in every way. Also it is a great learning experience.

Don't be sorry it's a 327. Just my opinion the best small block ever made. There are some good points to the 68. Ignition is still in the dash with no locking steering column to worry about. Listen to John and check 1 year only items like exterior door handles. Especially if you want this to be an original NCRS restoration. If not, you could do alot worse.

I had a chance to purchase a 68 vert a few years ago, but the guy couldn't come up with the title. I wish I had that car. The car needed a motor and transmission, but that is easily done with what is out there now. It also neede interior parts, now that is a different problem.

Yea I am trying to keep it all original but I am only 16 so I may have to cuts some corners price wise. But the things that really matter I will definitely keep it completely original

Yea I am trying to keep it all original but I am only 16 so I may have to cuts some corners price wise. But the things that really matter I will definitely keep it completely original

Restoring a '68 may cost you from 30-50-75% more than restoring a '69 due to the rarity of one year only parts. You'll still end up with a car that's worth less than an identical '69.

For a car that's being offered at $3500, expect it to need everything replaced/repaired/restored and to shell out $25-75K in the process.

If there's structural damage, run away even if the car is free.

Wonder why the front fenders are off??? A wreck? Check the frame!!! Look for rust towards the back also. Windshield cage frame rusts also.

I am possibly buying a 1968 corvette PROJECT and was wondering what were some of the things that you guys missed when you bought your corvette or other cars?
Kevin, the biggest thing most people miss is their money after they start a project like this. You say that you are 16. I would highly recommend passing on this. It's going to take so much more than you could possibly imagine to get this car to where you want it.
It's not like me to try to rain on someone's parade, but all things considered, you are going to spend $3500 on this car (which probably is a bit much based on the pics you've supplied) and you'll easily spend another $7500-$10000 AND 2-4 years before the car is even safely and legally drivable.

Unless you have an infinite amount of patience, tons of help from friends/families/mechanics, and a very large reservoir of available money, I'd seriously consider another route.

While we can all appreciate the eagerness of getting into the Corvette hobby, there are better ways to do it than to jump headfirst into the restoration of a basket case.

What do you think are realistic goals for your project?

POST EDIT: I see that you already have your '76. Why not just put money into that car, or sell it and get an already closer-to-restored '68-'69? If you want original on that car, it looks like you are going to be replacing the entire rear clip too, as from what I see, that doesn't look factory. But maybe I didn't look close enough? ;shrug

A lot of work required there, 1976, even if EVERYTHING not on the car comes in boxes. This car has been flared and has a non stock rear spoiler.

It's a major PITA not to be able to drive a project car while you're working on it, even if it's only out of or into the garage or up and down the driveway.

Good luck.

:)

I always try to encourage those new to the hobby, but there are LOTS of reasons why that car is apart and in boxes. To be perfectly frank about it, that car is a disaster, and is WAY beyond your capability and your bank account - it will run you out of time, money, patience, and motivation LONG before you can even get it driveable, much less legal. I'd recommend you put your money in something running and complete so you can at least enjoy it while you work on it. That car will completely tie up a 2-car garage for years before it ever moves again, and you'll probably wind up selling it, still in boxes, just like the current owner. How do I know that? I've done seven body-off restorations over the last 40 years, and I know what it takes. Keep looking.

:beer

The reason why he is sell it is really sad. He was restoring it for his son in iraque at war when the son was killed. now he just wants it gone.

The reason why he is sell it is really sad. He was restoring it for his son in iraque at war when the son was killed. now he just wants it gone.
It's a sad story if true, but you probably don't need to assume part of his unfortunate misery(s). Someone else will come along and take it off his hands.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom