Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What do you suggest for oil?

Brangeta

I figured this was probably as good (or better) as any place I could ask this question.

My mom's SS is rarely driven, and hasn't had an oil change in about 13 months. It has had 400 miles put on it since the last oil change. What do you guys recommend she do? Does she really need an oil change? When she does get an oil change, should we spend the extra money and convert to synthetic?

What do you think? What do you guys do with your garage queens?

Make sure when she does drive it that it get hot to burn all the condensation out of the crankcase. I would probably change the oil. It's better to use syn. as that is what the manufacture wants in it. Do not start the car and let it run for short periods of time. It needs to get good and hot.

Thanks redb2k, I'll let her know. :)

I checked the oil for her earlier and it looked just fine. Looks brand new, so unless it is turning into sludge in the bottom of the oil pan, then I think it's fine... I guess.

Her car never came with synthetic, it came with regular 'ole Castrol as far as I know. But it might be time for a switch since she's only driving it once every 3 weeks now.

Nothing beats Mobil-1 Synthetic Oil and recommended by Callaway Cars!

-Luigi
:cool

Brangeta, you may want to use the search function of the forums to do a search for motor oil suggestion. Your question by itself is a usual can of worms. There's been tons of discussions about organic -vs- synth oils, change intervals, etc etc etc...:blah

If you are looking for more answers still than what you get in this thread, I'd suggest doing a search. :upthumbs :w

Thanks... but that won't be necessary.

Make sure when she does drive it that it get hot to burn all the condensation out of the crankcase. I would probably change the oil. It's better to use syn. as that is what the manufacture wants in it. Do not start the car and let it run for short periods of time. It needs to get good and hot.

This is 100% accurate - Great info/tips :beer

I would say; Leave the oil in there. The engine only hit 400 miles so that is nothing. If you leave the oil in the can with 0 miles on it would you throw it away after one year?
But if you want to burn money go right ahead ;)

btw. stick with the oil that came with it IMHO.

Groeten Peter

Good info, thanks guys. I figured since some of you rarely drive your cars, your info would be the most helpful (and it was) :upthumbs .

A stock Scirocco uses 10W30, but the Callaway manual says to use Syn. I run 20W50 full syn as outlined in the manual.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom