Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What do you think this '72 454 would by worth? Need to know by Saturday.

hzl6cm

Corvette
1970 Laguna Grey Convert., '04 Z06
I've got a line on a '72 big block coupe at a farm auction this weekend and would like to get an idea what it might be worth before I go down there and bid (too far to drive down there and look before this weekend). I don't know too many details. The listing says it is a complete 1972 Corvette, T-tops, 454, automatic, 81,000, always shedded (always shedded is what it says for most of the farm equipment also). Assuming that it is an original 454 car that is complete and not rusty (frame), engine turns over but hasn't been started in a while what do you think that it might be worth? My research indicates maybe $5,000. What difference would it make if it was a 454 car but didn't have the original engine? How about if it was a 350 car with a 454 added? Or what about if it is a surviver, all original that runs and drives (which is probably the best the car would be). I don't know the color, are there any really bad colors? Thanks for the help!

If I get this I would probably either fix it up some and sell it or sell my 70 - I don't think my wife would let me keep both!

Kevin

There are too many unknowns to accurately price the car. A basket case would probably fetch 5K while a "complete" numbers matching car, even one with trashed cosmetics, should easily double that.

A true survivor or a fully restored '72 BB coupe with docs and a good set of options would probably fetch over $40K most of the time.

In between condition (and options, documentation, etc.) would result in prices between those, of course.

As for color, the only people that will matter to are you (since you're going to buy it) and perhaps a potential buyer down the line. Obviously yellow is superior, especially on a '72, but all corvettes are nice in just about any color, right? :D

Best of luck!

I don't know where you got a $5000 figure for a BB 72 Corvette with those options, but I find it hard to believe that the figure you have is even in the right ball park. Unless you have really nasty paint, bad engine, and bad frame, I would suggest a figure three times that. If you have access to the NCRS Driveline, I think that you will find numbers for a nice, driver quality 72 BB are in the high twenties.

Oth, if you can get the car for that price, jump on it like white on rice!

Originality always affects prices. An original car is worth more. I'd say your $5000 is low and would agree that if you can get it at that price, write the check. Likewise I think the $15K figure is too high. These cars sell for varying prices across the country.

My advice is to get up close and personal with this car before you make your decision.
:)

I have to agree with the other posts. Too many unknowns. You have to see the car, paint, interior, engine bay, frame, etc., and also attempt to determine how long it has sat (registration?). I agree $5K seems low, but if you can get it for that-you bet. It should get double that, methinks.

Good luck at the auction. Please keep us posted. :)

Rick
:gap

Thanks for everybodies replies. They have just the information I was looking for. I got the $5k from the collector car market review report ( www.collectorcarmarket.com ) and the value is for a condition 5 car (In need of complete restoration, but is complete but not a rust bucket beyond repair. May or may not run and drive. Not roadworthy). I figured that might pretty accurately describe a car that has sat in a farm shed for a number of years. I then scanned internet adds for cars and didn't see anything to really contradict this. I looked at other sites, NADA etc. But they dont really price a car that has been sitting and isn't driveable, I think their "low" value still reflects a driveable car. For a #4 car (runs and drives okay, etc.) they say about $9k. For my '70 350 hp 350, 4-speed convertible, condition 4, they have it listed at about $12k - I tried to sell it awhile ago for $14k with no takers so maybe they are pretty close to the mark. Again thanks for the info, I'll let you know what I find. Unfortunately it may be hard to look too close (get underneath, etc.) Take care.

Kevin

Also, I'm thinking that this car can't be in too great of shape otherwise somebody would have been smart enough NOT to sell it at a farm auction but instead pursue another way of selling it.

Also, I'm thinking that this car can't be in too great of shape otherwise somebody would have been smart enough NOT to sell it at a farm auction but instead pursue another way of selling it.

those type of auctions are usually "estate" or bankruptcy auctions and everything goes to settle up the owners dont get to pick and choose what they sell and how.

A little more information on the car. I spoke with the auctioneer this morning. He said the car was sharp looking and ran great "...you could hop in in tomorrow and drive it to Los Vegas if you wanted!". He said it was sharp looking and he hadn't seen anything like major scratches in the paint. He said that the owner has retired, moved in to town, has sold his farm and doesn't have any room to store the car. He thought the paint was original, in fact that was the only thing that he didn't like since it is a "burnt orange" color. Whic I assume was the original color. I've got the owner's phone number but haven't yet hooked up with him.

The car is actually a lot closer to me than it is Springfield, but thanks anyway. I would go over after work today and look at it but my middle daughter has turned 15 today so going and looking at a car wouldn't go over well (unless I told her it was her present!).

Kevin

More inf:

I just talked with the owner while driving home. According to him:

• The car runs strong and drives well, as far as he knows it is the original engine and it has never been apart - he is 98% sure
  • The car has AC but no power windows. It does have power brakes and sterring. They just replaced the brake MC.
  • He also had the local Chevy dealer go through it and they flushed the radiator and replaced hoses and belts, replaced the rubber bits on the suspension, replaced one rear control arm that was bent and aligned the front and rear end. The car drives strate down the highway.
  • There are no cracks in the dash or door panels and no rips in the seats. The interior is black
  • The exterior is Ontario Orange. The original paint is pretty good but there is some light accident damage that was repaired and the paint on the repaired section doesn't match as well as it should and is flaking a little.
  • The headlights and wiper door go up and down fine.
  • Original AM/FM radio works.
  • When it was up on the rack and they were doing the suspension work he looked at the frame and didn't see any rust.
I'll go down to the auction tomorrow, it sounds like if I could get it for $5k to $10k it would be a pretty good deal.

Kevin

I'll go down to the auction tomorrow, it sounds like if I could get it for $5k to $10k it would be a pretty good deal.

From the description you're probably doing pretty good even at $15K to $20K.

When you get to see the car check to see if there's a tank sticker while you are checking numbers and looking for rust. :)

If there is no Vette people there you may get lucky, but if you really want it bring more then $10,000. I was at a bankruptcy auction with 4 Vettes for sale. the Nicest a 70 auto went for $11,700, a 87 went a little higher, the 90 went for 14,500 while the 75 went for $5500.

Thanks for all of the help how do you find the tank sticker? I always figured you had to drop the tank to find it, where wou you reach up to get to it? Thanks.

Found mine by pushing the rubber seal around the tank filler over and you could see it on the top of the tank. I was able to slide it out through there. Not in great shape and very delicate. If you try it this way, be very careful not to tear it.

Thanks again. Even if I can't pull the tank sticker it looks like I can tell from the VIN if it is a true 454 car and not a clone somebody put together 15 years ago. The owner said a lot of people have been coming to look at the car and the auctioneer said he has never seen this much interest in a car at an auction - I can see why since the auctioneer normally does farm and livestock auctions!

Post the selling price even if you don't get it. We are going to an auction today I'm looking for a new tool box the Wife wants to see what a Delorean will go for :L (the back to the future car) for the kids she seems to think there will be little interest in it ;LOL

I saw about a dozen Deloreans about a month ago. The were the guest Marque at the Kansas City All British car show. Interesting looking cars, the kids especially like the one that had a factory yellow paint job. I will post the info and maybe take a few pictures.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom