Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

what does 3-digit grease pencil in instrument cluster mean?

CHEV66JB

Corvette
'59 Corvette #5366
Hi all,

On the inside of the instrument cluster for my '59, there is a 3-digit # written in green grease pencil. What does this signify?

Thanks,

Jim

I just found out from another online source that the number indicates the car's job number. I don't quite follow how these were assigned though (weekly, monthly, etc), so if someone could help me understand this process I'd greatly appreciate it.

Regards,

Jim

it is the JOB NUMBER - started at 001 and went through 500 and then the sequence started all over again

BTW - on my 1963 Z06, I found job sequence number on the back of my instrument cluster; on the back of the cage when we dropped the gas tank; and also on the passenger side of the firewall around the kick panel area

So would the job number match the vin on the first 500 cars in the year? If so then the job number on my car, #881, would be 381.

Tom

So would the job number match the vin on the first 500 cars in the year? If so then the job number on my car, #881, would be 381.

Tom

Not necessarily, Tom. My "500" build does not correspond with my VIN.

Here, the 500 is upside down on the passenger door.
Build500-pass-door-500.jpg

And here, the number is right-side up on the driver's door.
Build500-dr-door-500.jpg

Here it is on the firewall, below the heater box.
Build500-firewall-500.jpg

And, here it is on the rear bulkhead where the gastank usually sits.
Build500-bulkhead-500.jpg

It was not on my instrument cluster..........which was the original cluster. Maybe they stopped doing the clusters by 1967. ;shrug
gauges2-350.jpg

Tom,

AFAIK, there was NO association / correlation of the job number to the VIN - I'm sure JohnZ can provide more info if there is anything to talk about

Beginning in 1963, once the car left the Paint Shop, the scrawled (body shop) job number wasn't used; as soon as the body entered the Hard Trim Line, a final assembly sequence number was assigned, and the car was built to a "Broadcast Sheet" (NOT the "build sheet") that was printed out at the beginning of all the feeder lines that supplied components to the main line. The broadcast sheet identified virtually every part for the car, and was taped to each feeder line-built component, and was trashed when each component was installed on the body on the main line. The final assembly sequence number on the broadcast sheet was unrelated to the car's VIN. The Body and Chassis broadcast sheets were a standard Chevrolet assembly plant form, electronically "broadcast" to the Western Union-type teletype printers at each location in the plant that needed them. A sample Body Broadcast (from a '69 Camaro) is shown below - note the "sequence" box at the upper left. :)

BodyBdcst.JPG

wow, when pete estes made a request, it went right up to "red hot"

yessir, mr. estes, sir

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom