Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What else to do in diff?

77-4speed

Corvette
1977 Black L-82 4-speed
Everybody,

I was going to take my car to have the yokes looked at, but upon my own visual inspection I can see that the passenger side is a good 1/2" closer to the diff than the drivers side. No need to have a pro tell me, I know I need to replace the passenger side yoke. So, since I'll have the diff out, I plan to replace the bushings and shocks.

My question is, what do you think I should do in the differential besides replace the side yoke? I don't want to swap gears or anything, just maintenance. I am planning on replacing the passenger side yoke and all U-joints. Any thing else?

Also, where should I get new yokes? I have looked at Bairs and zip ~$100 a piece. I haven't called auto houses yet.

Thanks,

Russ

Try Muskegon Brake- easy to deal w/. Also, how are the struts? Fiberglass rear spring- how much do you want to spend?

Have a good rebuild shop flush it out, install new bearings and seals (including the pinion seal), and inspect the posi unit. It will be well worth it, and give you peace of mind.

I was hoping this was not your problem, but all signs sure pointed this way.

Good luck.

Yup Chris,

As usual, you were right. I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked uner the car.

I don't want to spend a fortune as I'm planning on selling it in a couple of months. Im only in for about 11.5-12 so I don't want to drop 2K on a suspension package. If the spring needs replacement I'll probably go with the stock style and save the 100 bucks compared to a VBP fiberglass spring. Also, with a fiberglass spring I have to buy certain shocks which I believe cost more.

Have a good rebuild shop flush it out, install new bearings and seals (including the pinion seal), and inspect the posi unit.
The items that you listed above, is that considered a standard rebuild, or should I ask specifically for these items to be addressed? Any ideas what something like that might run?

Thanks in advance,

Russ

P.S. I'm asking because I only know of 1 good corvette shop in Houston and I wouldn't be surprised if they jacked up the prices.

My sense of "reasonable" prices tends to be a little skewed. I have a local gear shop that does wonderful work for very reasonable prices (you must pull the part and ship it to him). His work is first rate, and he won't jack you up and down. In fact, I am Mr. Do it Yourself, but I let Mike rebuild my 69 diff and four speed gear box. I had just seals, bearings, inspection, and flush done on mine. It was like $150.

If you want him to do it, just send me a private e-mail, and I can get the two of you in touch to work out the details.

I would think you could have it pulled, shipped, fixed, and mailed back in about 2-3 weeks and save hundreds of dollars.

However, pulling the diff is a pain in the butt. I sugges you pull the rear carpet up, make a hole from underneath, and cut holes in the rear floor to access the upper diff housing bolts. That will make life so much easier for you.

Corvettes of Houston quoted me $375 to do a "reseal" if I brought the diff to their shop. I don't know what a "reseal" entails so I'm assuming it's a standard rebuild. Sounds like it might be cheaper for me to ship it out. I've got one other local diff. rebuilder that I'm waiting to hear from.

Chris, do you know what a "reseal" is and how it is different from what you had done?

Russ

You will need to get them to list the full reseal procedure including replaced parts.

I would at a minimum replace the seals and bearings (as well as the yokes). You will find a little extra labor will have to be added to remove the old yoke. The end will be mushroomed out so that it won't slip back out of the housing.

Check around and compare prices. Have them save the old bearings and give back to you (at least some peace of mind that they did replace them).

Russ,
For $375 that should include all the bearings. But not rebuilding the posi unit. Also there is no way they can give you an estimate until they do a tear down and inspection.
For $125 + parts + shipping I will do a complete teardown(including the posi unit), inspection, cleaning, sandblast the case and rear cover and paint them, and reassemble. You can supply any or all parts needed if you prefer.
I have been rebuilding these units for over 15 years for automotive shops.
Mike

However, pulling the diff is a pain in the butt. I sugges you pull the rear carpet up, make a hole from underneath, and cut holes in the rear floor to access the upper diff housing bolts. That will make life so much easier for you.

I think it is eaiser to remove the cross member with the diff. connected. At least that's they way I did it. It wasn't bad. I had to put a pry bar near the bushing and push hard. I did NOT remove the bushing bolts the entire way, I left them in about 2 turns to hold everything up once it came free. Then side a floor jack in, make contact, remove bolts and lower the rear end.
If you need a step by step I'll be glad to type one out.

Rick

I got your message. I'll email you something. :)

Rick

I don't want to be a bearer of bad news, but mine sounds like it was in better shape than yours, and the left side yoke had removed enough material from the differential casting that a "reseal" was impossible. There was no place left to install the seal. Shops that specialize in Vette rear ends most likely have some used cases around which might save you some major bucks. You also might want to consider replacing the clutch pack as long as you are that far into it, labor to replace with new parts would be the same as putting the old parts back in.

Stingray6974,

I sent you an email! I'd like to take you up on your offer in the next couple of weeks. Please e-mail me your phone number at russellfulks@hotmail.com and I'll give you a call to talk particulars.

Thanks,

Russ

Hey Russ, looks like you're ready to pull that baby out. Are you planning to do it ASAP? Let me know and we'll arrange a time. I'll call a shop that went over a MB head for me last year and see if they can tackle the rear end and what'll cost for a basic rebuild. I'll call you tomorrow, when I find something out.

--Bullitt

Thanks Bullitt,

I'll be out of town this weekend so I might be doing it the following weekend. Give me a call and let me know what you find out about rebuilding the rear end.

Thanks,

Russ

I didn't find out anything today, Russ. The shop I dealt with in the past is mostly an engine shop. I'll check some other places tomorrow, if you want to keep the rebuild in town. Next weekend sounds good for the pull.

--Bullitt

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom