Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What exactly is this sensor

M

Mart

OK, right above the oil filter is a brass sensor with a wire coming out of it, (along with oil coming out of the end, I think).

That area is really hard to see, but I keep finding a few drops of oil on the exhaust, the oil appears to be dripping from the wire or wires that come out of this connector.

I thought it was the oil pressure sensor but I when asked for one at the local shop they said "with light or guage" I said "what????" OK light. and he handed me this big steel canister.

So, what is the brass thing right above the oil filter, and can oil leak out of the end?

Thanks
Mart

Really???

It's on the drivers side rear above the oil filter.

Here is a shot of a knock sensor from ecklers, it does not look like this, it's brass.

34664.jpg

I just read a couple of other threads that state that the knock sensor is located on the passenger side not on the drivers side.

So it is probably some other sensor?

I will look at my car tonight, and reply tomorrow with sensor information (hopefully). Oil pressure can be read at the oil filter area and behind the distributor. I know mine has an oil pressure sensor at the distributor.

Terry Colyer
82 Silver/Blue Coupe
86 Red Coupe, 4+3, Z-51

The knock sensor on my 86 is on the passanger's side in the middle of the block...not near the oil filter...it is either the oil temp swithc or the oil pressure switch

Oil pressure switch is at the top of the block behind the manifold. I think the temp sensor is there, too; there are two separate leads.

Mart, if I had my car in front of me right now I could tell you... but it's in the shop. The only thing I remember being in that area is the O2 sensor, screwed into the exhaust Y-pipe. Oil could be dripping onto it from the back of the manifold or the driver's side valve cover.

If you still haven't figured it out by this weekend, let me know and I'll check Mad-Mic's '87 when it's over here for some work.
[RICHR]

All right! Enough already! I dragged out the shop manual. Everybody turn to page 8A-201-2. It's indeed the oil temp sensor, so 5 points to Cash's90...

Reason why there are two leads to the oil pressure sensor is that one of them is to the engine kill switch for when pressure drops too low...
[RICHR]

Rich your a God :BOW :BOW

That's it exactly, I hope. I will pick one up tomorrow.

Thanks all
Mart

Why the heck is it leaking, what's the best way to seal this up.

Not sure why it was leaking, but use some teflon thread sealant when you install it. Shouldn't be any oil coming from the inside, but might be some from along the threads. Sure the oil isn't dripping from somewhere higher?
[RICHR]

You may be right Rich, about the oil comeing from somewhere else, but you know how easy it is to see up there maybe I missed something.

Gonna have another look

Mart

Places to look:

- Rear of the manifold
- rear of driver's valve cover
- if you have an oil cooler, where it mates to the block

Suggestion... get a spray bottle of Simple Green and spray it all over what you can reach at the back of the engine, let it sit for a while and then hose everything down. Should make it clean enough to see where the oil is coming from.
[RICHR]

Sensor just above the oil filter is the oil temperature sensor.

Probably has a green wire with a white tracer on it.

Ron ... :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom