Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What goes up....should come down....

jnj

Corvette
2006 Machine Silver Coupe
Well, it finally happenned, the antenna on my vert is stuck in the up position. Does anyone know the best way to replace the entire unit? AND, can one be purchased from the local pep boys, Kragen, Autozone...... or is this strictly a dealer or specialty item.
Gonna attemp to repair this weekend.
Please help!

There are a lot of wrecked Vettes out there. Must be newbie drivers. If you cant find a new one then look for a used one.

:wSeems to me that the "Corvette Garage Billet Shorty Antenna for Z06 Corvette" is the end piece of the assembly?? it looks like a normal antenna painted black?? i think you may need the base.:confused

What i found on a prior car, was that the salt etc. goes in the motor and jams it all up. If the "cable" isn't messed up or things bent, you can actully clean/oil and get it back in order.

JnJ,

Buy a replacement mast/drive from the antenna people on epigbay.

They are $19.99 with free shipping.

Heck, it even comes with instructions.

hth,

Jim

Thanks,
I did buy one of those and it did not do down all the way, so, thinking I was smarter than your average bear, I clipped about 6" off the nylon snake. Went down all the way, came up, NEVER went down again. Bought a second mast, installed it now it goes up and down but still leaves about 6" of mast above the car. Any suggestions???

Thanks,
I did buy one of those and it did not do down all the way, so, thinking I was smarter than your average bear, I clipped about 6" off the nylon snake. Went down all the way, came up, NEVER went down again. Bought a second mast, installed it now it goes up and down but still leaves about 6" of mast above the car. Any suggestions???

Most likely what has happened is that your OEM mast broke inside the motor assembly, and the broken piece and is still in there, not allowing the new mast to lower all the way.

JUST what LLC5 said. You've got a broken piece inside the drive.

Remove the right, outside taillight assembly and remove the motor unit (you'll see how it comes out) then take it apart and remove the broken piece.

THEN do your mast install again and you'll be golden.

Ask me how I know this? :chuckle

Jim

Yup, what they said. I had this happen to my '95. Had to take it completely out and disassemble it to get the old stuff out of it. After that it worked great.

Good info here guys.....Thanks for sharing!

Antenna stuck?

Not doubting any of the advice offered earlier, but... mine stuck in the up position the other day.

I wiped the antenna down with some alcohol, which removed a ton of grime. I then, carefully, sprayed some WD-40 on it and turned the radio back on, then back off.

The antenna neatly retracted and has worked flawlessly since.

Sometimes, the easy answer is the right one.

Indeed so Lowflyer, you're right, the easy is the good.

However. I'm not so sure that WD40 (HUGE fan of the stuff is what I am) is the correct stuff in this application over the long haul.

I've seen cleaning with alcohol and then waxing recommended. It works peachy too. The issue with the WD40 is that it will attract dirt. It is mostly kerosene you know.

I'm just sayin'.

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom