Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: What is a Flexplate?

fine69

Corvette
'69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
I see flexplates in auto catalogs all the time. What are these things? I had my flywheel turned when I did my overhaul... but it did not have flexplate on it. Is this an alternative to a flywheel? Confused. ;shrug

thought that was a flywheel so your saying flex wheel is the same

Flywheel connects to the clutch/pressure plate in standard transmissions.
Flex plate connects to the torque converter in automatics.
You will have one or the other depending on the transmission used, but not both.
Andy

Oh okay. So it's a flywheel for automatic transmissions... that's why I was not familiar with it.

thought that was a flywheel so your saying flex wheel is the same

Nope - A flexplate bolts to the end of the crank, but it's a sheet metal stamping and all it does is carry the ring gear and provide holes to attach the torque converter on an automatic transmission. A flywheel also bolts to the end of the crank, but it's solid steel (or cast iron or aluminum), and the clutch bolts to it on a manual transmission. Flywheel photo below. :)

Oh okay. So it's a flywheel for automatic transmissions... that's why I was not familiar with it.
You can look at it that way, but since automatics don't have/need a flywheel technically it's not. That's why the different name. Flexplate for autos, flywheel for standards.
Andy

Thanks for the replies. It is always good to learn something new.

Ralph

Thanks for the replies. It is always good to learn something new.

Ralph
I Thought a flexplate, was something you stacked bar b qued ribs on at a picnic. Says chinet on it and flexes just before it folds:boogie

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom