Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What is it with Mustang guys?

Fullback32

Corvette
2004 Magnetic Red Metallic II Convertible
I really want to know. Every time I'm out in the 'vette there are at least 1-2 Mustang guys who want to race, It's never other 'vette guys, Firebirds, Camaros or even Chargers or Challengers. Even this morning I was driving my daily driver (Toyota) and I saw a yellow C4 going down the road and sure enough, there was a Mustang trying to challenge him. The only other car that tried to take me on was one Porsche....all the rest were Mustangs. I have a very clean driving record and desire to keep it that way, plus I'm at an age that I'm over all that. I just wave the Mustangs on, but it is annoying! :eyerole Have any of you guys noticed this behavior from Mustang drivers too?

I see the same thing when i am out in the vette. on the freeway or not. a mustang is trying to get close to me to race. i guess their ego is big until a vette makes it little again.

You think you've got it bad, try driving around with this on the back of your car!

LicensePlateFrame.jpg

;LOL Jason

If a guy showed up at work boasting that he raced a Toyota on a way to work and won no one would give a dam, on the other hand if he said he beet a Corvette the answer would be wow your car is fast. Guess to beet a Corvette is a kind of Holly Grail for most. They all won't to try if it does not cost them anything, they expect to loose but if they win it's all about bragging wrights. Just relax and drive your own speed, you have nothing to prove to anyone and if they really wont to see your Vette run fast make them pay :thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32
I'm at an age that I'm over all that. I just wave the Mustangs on, :eyerole

Wow ,i'm so sorry.;LOL
:boogie:boogie:boogie

i have layed down the law a time or two. i guess everyone who does not have a vette wants to race you just to say they did. just last week i raced an old cuda. sweet car, sounded awsome, but he never had a chance:boogie. i guess im old enuff to know, but young enuff not to care!!! there is no better feeling than leavin some guy in the dust and seeing his face at the next light!

I hear ya, but uh, I had this habit once upon a time of getting tickets for that. A hopped up 1979 Trans Am and later a Toyota Supra are to blame! I like my insurance rates where they are now...or a I need a good radar detector. :D

oh man, i hear ya on the tickets:hb i used to live in florida and i think i single handed payed for us 19 to be paved. i live in indiana now, lotsa cornfields and back roads.

You think you've got it bad, try driving around with this on the back of your car!

LicensePlateFrame.jpg

;LOL Jason

Dude...that is just plain awesome!

...Just relax and drive your own speed, you have nothing to prove to anyone and if they really wont to see your Vette run fast make them pay :thumb

Great advice for anyone!

:thumb

i get challenged by the little wanna be racers in thier ricers all the time.... i dont even bother with them..... they keep riding past my dads house now to get a look at the CTS-V but arent gonna get a shot at the title.... i also drive a mustang but never felt the need to challenge a vette

oh man, i hear ya on the tickets:hb i used to live in Florida and i think i single handed payed for us 19 to be paved. i live in Indiana now, lots cornfields and back roads.
Hell,I paid for the last section of I-95 from Gatlin Blvd in Port St Lucie to Jupiter!!:D:D:D

Anyone get the Speed Channel? I watch "Pass Time" and I was curious why there is never a Corvette drag racing. Just Novas, Camaros and Mustangs. Wonder why? I thought Vettes were pretty good on the strip.

Anyone get the Speed Channel? I watch "Pass Time" and I was curious why there is never a Corvette drag racing. Just Novas, Camaros and Mustangs. Wonder why? I thought Vettes were pretty good on the strip.

Probably for the same reasons you don''t see many Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti etc. There are quite a few Corvettes on the track and they run 11's and 10's on average which is not to shabby. You are wright that Novas, Cameros, mustangs are dominant in numbers but does that mean anything? I grew up near English Town NJ and the best I could afford then was a Vega that I drooped a 350 into. All from a junk yard and probably the car I was most proud of ever. I build it myself and it would run high 9's to low 10's, when it wasn't broken that is. I would guess in summary it's the economics, not the car itself. Face it you could build a mean 1/4 mile Nova for less than price of a base Corvette, hoever you could not drive it legaly on the street ;).

I don't think the Mustang attitude of arrogance applies to just Corvettes.

Most of these guys play show off with just about anyone that will listen. I've seen them try to instigate a stop light race with just about anything with four wheels- which includes other Mustangs, Mopars, GM, imports, and even motorcycles.

I think there is a psychological desire to show folks they have the V8 version as opposed to the four banger.

They also want to leave no doubt in people's minds that they have squirreled away a small fortune in exhaust, drive train, heads, paint, and gauges.

Most of these cars are manual transmission cars. I'm not sure if the AOD is as reliable as the 4L60 or 700R4 on the drag strip when it comes to consistency. These guys tend to play with the gas pedal with the clutch down waiting for the light to change. Most Fbodies are of the A4 variety , FWIW, and you don't see guys moving the car to neutral to do the same. That would be silly.

What I do find interesting is how many of Fox body cars are still selling on Craigslist for between $5k-10K with various mods. It is easier to find a Republican in San Fransisco than an unmolested mid 80's - late 90's Mustang. Those cars seem to bottom out at about $5k and have a cult like following. It is kinda bizarre.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom