Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What is it?

D

Dan Ratner

I must admit that I am not very automotively inclined. So forgive me if this is a silly question. I have a 74 Stingray L-82. I was looking under the hood for a vacuum leak(never did find it) and I noticed something amiss.

On the driverside, attached to the body near the wheel well is a black control that says "engaged-disengaged". There appears that some type of connector screws onto it (or several). Lying next to it, hanging down is a rubber covered connector with two leads, a black and a yellow one. The leads trace back to a larger wiring harness. The connector is a bit corroded.

So what is this?

FYI. My car is not stock. It has some aftermarket improvements(that I did not install) including a distributor and a carb. I am hoping this is something that was eliminated with the improvements.

Dan Ratner

Little more than a guess here Dan ... could it be the transducer for a cruise control setup? I don't recall if CC was offered for the 74 ... of if someone's adapted one from another model ... or an aftermarket version. I've considered adapting GM CC stuff into my 71.
JACK

Dan Ratner said:
On the driverside, attached to the body near the wheel well is a black control that says "engaged-disengaged". There appears that some type of connector screws onto it (or several). Lying next to it, hanging down is a rubber covered connector with two leads, a black and a yellow one. The leads trace back to a larger wiring harness. The connector is a bit corroded.

So what is this?
Dan,
you say "attached to the body", is this on the body/on the fender of the car? or is it on the inner fender well inside the engine compartment?

In 74 the security system key moved from the rear of the car to the drivers side fender near the "Stingray" emblem.

tom...

Ok here are some more details. The device is inside the engine compartment and is to the left of the master cylinder and almost right below the washer fluid reservoir.

Its black, about 4-5 inches, has a cylindrical side and then some more plastic housing attached to it. It has places for connectors and it says ENGAGE HOLD in embossed lettering on the top of it.

The wire, which may have nothing to do with the device(I just don't like finding hanging wires in that aren't attached to anything) has a rubber hood where it would connect to (?) and then 2 leads, a black and a yellow one. The wire seems to trace back to a larger harness that disappears into the fire wall

Thanks in advance for your help

Dan

Dan,
What aftermarket "stuff" is on the car? If this is a harness connected to an aftermarket ignition system (like MSD), it may be a connection for a trans lock of some sort. I'm not that up on what harnesses all of the ignition kits have, but it could be possible. Chris would know better than I. Unless your '74 is vastly different than my '73 this sounds like an add on. Just a thought.

male, threaded connectors

Dan:
Does the "device" have one or more round, male, threaded "connector(s)" ... maybe about 1/2" to 3/4" diameter? Is the device primarily made of cast metal or plastic (a small scratch with a penknife'll tell)? Is there a nipple where a small hose/tube could attach?

Better yet, can you post or email a digital pic of device?
JACK:gap

Hi Dan,
I was going to ask the same question as Jack, can you post a photo? Difficult to say exactly what you have, but I think with the brief description of the wording, I thinbk we will be inclined to lean towards the cruise control. It may not be factory, I don't know off the top of my head if it was even available that year.
But the words engage, disengage, and hold really sound like cruise control lingo, or Cpt. Kirk talking to Cmdr. Zulu. one or the other.
vettepilot

Thanks for the responses. It would be difficult to post a pic quickly. I would have to take a photo with real film, develop it and finally scan it.

Jack:
It DOES have two threaded connectors on the side nearest the firewall. One is directly in the center of the circle and the other is ofset and above the centered connector. The top connector is larger then the centered connector. One is about 1/2 od and the other is more like 1/4 or 3/8. On the opposite side there are a set of electrical prongs. Beneath that are two tapered hollow extenstions from the body that you could concievably attach basic rubber hoses to. The body of it is PLASTIC.

what is it?

Sound's like the cruise contrl servo.

Hmm, I didn't even know that cars that old had cruise control. I don't have any controls that would operate a cruise control either.

Does one side of the round portion have a small flat 1/4'' x 1/16' metal piece about 2 inches long with 2 or more small approx. 1/8th '' holes in it, and is that piece attached to a diaphram that can be moved in and out. Is there a Vac. line or nipple on thje opposite end of the round device? The box with the holes in the back side, do you see a threaded nipple or recess that looks like it would take the ends of the speedometer cable? If all the above are there I really think you are looking at the cruise control module and servo. Also look around to see if you have remanants of a bead chain hanging off the servo flat piece that I mentioned above, or on the throttle linkage.
vettepilot

74 did not have cruise control, so if that is it then it is aftermarket. Any indication of a CC switch inside the car?

tom...

Tom73 in above post is quite correct, no speed control for 74.
I think off the top of my balding head the first year for speed control in the Corvette was 1977, it was RPO K something. I'll have to go look it up later, or maybe somebody has a referance by their computer and can tell us.
So if the item is cruise control, or speed control then it is either aftermarket, or somebody tried to put in a GM unit from a later year.
vettepilot

vettepilot said:
I think off the top of my balding head the first year for speed control in the Corvette was 1977, it was RPO K something.
K30 in 1977

tom...

Dan:
Based on the info supplied ... I think what you have is a transducer for an aftermarket (non-GM) cruise/speed control.

pics

Dan:
I feel your pain ... I'm without a digital camera also. I conclude that many vetters who work on their cars should own one ... if only to give/receive internet mechanic help. Soooo .... dammit ... I'm gonna get one. I'm looking at the Sony's that'll take both floppy and memory stick ... the FD100 & FD200. I'm not a shutterbug ... anybody got opinions on those two Sony's? Cheap mailorder camera sources?

I guess that it would be a failed attempt then 'cause I don't see anything in the interior that would indicate a cruise control. The device seems perfectly mounted, doesn't look aftermarket at all.

Oh well, maybe when I get my digital camera I will post a few pics.

Thanks anyway guys.

Jack,

Olympus makes a inexpensive (<200) digital that has got some good reviews on cnet.com. Might do you some good to check out the reviews at that site. I know that there are several now that have high quality and a low price

-dan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom