Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What is proper water pump cleaning and opti-spark cleaning.

• Thread starter Thread starter ReggieD
  • Start date Start date
R

ReggieD

1992 vette, A/T, LT1

I am working on my engine right now. I want to reuse my water pump and reuse my opti-spark after I modify it.

What is the proper way to clean the water pump without damaging it?

What is the proper way to re-lubricate the water pump without damaging it?

What is the proper way to clean the opt-spark internal components without damaging it?

What is the proper way to re-lubricate the opt-spark without damaging it?

What chemicals can I use?

Looks too good to replace, maintenance may be all I need

I purchased the car with 115,000 miles on it. Upon removing the Water pump I noticed the mounting screws looked as if glue was on the threads from applying glue to the gaskets which leads me to believe the water pump has been replaced in the past. The pump looks pretty good. I still cleaned it with Simple Green. I am going to add a plug and hose to the bottom of the pump so if it leaks, the anti-freeze will be diverted pass the Opti-spark to the ground.

The Opti-spark looks good too. The bearings portion from the outside looks functional and not loose. I want to look inside the unit to make sure there is no carbon build-up. I will clean out any foreign material with contact cleaner. Then I will add the opti-spark mod.

I would rather try to save what I have now by cleaning it up than trashing it to spending $600.00. I just spent $235 (Harmonic balance), $230 (radiator), $60 ( Opti-kit, gaskets, etc.) My wife is going to kill me.

I will love pointers on have to properly inspect the inside of my opti-spark unit.

Back in business

I am back on the road again.

I changed everything...
Did it myself...Took me three weeks (Waiting for Parts).
1) Water pump
2) Harmonic Balance
3) Thermostat 160deg
4) Radiator
5) New Opti-Spark "DynaSpark"
6) Front and rear Brake shoes
7) Fuel Filter

Congratulations on your job! That was quite an undertaking. Are you (Were you) a mechanic by trade?

Do you notice any difference with the Dynaspark? Is the idle smoother? Engine quieter? Revs up faster?

Thanks in advance for the info. :upthumbs

Save The Wave! :w

Way to go reggie I like doing as much as I can myself save the money for something else.This site has helped me do alot that I might have not attempted otherwise.Whats next on your agenda.Kevin

The credit goes to the forum

I am a jack of all trades master of none. Love to save money and know for a fact that no one will do a better job on your stuff than yourself. Car runs smoother. No slight miss like I had in the past. No leaks in driveway.

The forum should take the credit because reading and asking questions got me over the hump.

Next thing to do is "Drive"

:beer

Could you give me details about the plug and hose to protect the opti-spark from a leak? I'm replacing the water pump this week, and the coolant dripped onto the belt which sprayed the engine compartment in the plane the belt spun in

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom