Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What is the easiest way to remove rear tail light lens????

bobavett

Corvette
1986 C4 AUTO Torch Red Tan & Black Interior Coupe
Hi all

I have to replace my outer rear tail lights with export amber lights (on my 1986 coupe) to get my vett licenced here in Australia.

I have a C4 manual that shows how to remove the lens but it still has been frustrating! :mad

I'm hoping someone has gone through the pain and can suggest some tips and/or advice to remove the lens?;shrug

Regards

Darren

used the search. there's writeups here on that.
basically you go in thru the licnse plate area, you may have to emove the fuel filler area too, but pls check it out. I hear its not too bad. mka sure you replace everything you can while you're in there. Lotsa luck. :]
:D

used the search. there's writeups here on that.
basically you go in thru the licnse plate area, you may have to emove the fuel filler area too, but pls check it out. I hear its not too bad. mka sure you replace everything you can while you're in there. Lotsa luck. :]
:D

OK thanks for that .... I thought there was probably no easy fix on this one!

Cheers

Darren

My first thought when I saw this post was...with a hammer? But then I realized you're wanting to be able to put things back together nicely...I'm sure someone here can help you with a more constructive and less destructive method than my idea!

Start with the license plate, then inside lens, then outside lens.

I was contemplating a hammer for a while ;LOL

But the removal of the licence plate seems the best option. Even though it is damm well hurts when you have 'POPEYE' forarms like me :eek:hnoes

I can't believe Chevrolet overlooked such a simple thing such as screws on the outside of the lens for access ???? Maybe they figured that the globes would last forever ????

Thanks all for your help on this one:beer

regards

Darren

What is the easiest way to remove rear tail light lens????

sorry can,t resist this one;LOL

backing into a concrete bridge support piller at 20mph....works almost 90% of the time, on the first try

16447V-30.jpg

I've changed the outboard bulbs in an '88 by going up from underneath, between the body and the muffler.

In the Corvette Central catalog they have a direction on changing the bulbs and len, I don't have mine here but I am sure if you get one of thier catal;ogs it will show you. As everone said you go through your license plate area.:w

I'll let you know how I go as I'm planning to do a number of things to my Vette over the weekend and this is first on the list.

Followed by the interior carpets .....

Cheers

Darren

Hi Darren

Was wondering how you got on with this job...
I've got a left hand outboard rear brake / indicator lamp playing up and need to access it... I've had a bit of a go through the licence plate area and also up from underneath... It's not easy!

Cheers
Mark
'86 Coupe from New Zealand.

I was contemplating a hammer for a while ;LOL

But the removal of the licence plate seems the best option. Even though it is damm well hurts when you have 'POPEYE' forarms like me :eek:hnoes

I can't believe Chevrolet overlooked such a simple thing such as screws on the outside of the lens for access ???? Maybe they figured that the globes would last forever ????

Thanks all for your help on this one:beer

regards

Darren

I'll bet it was an anti theft consideration. Anything that could be easily emoved probably would be.

Hi Darren

Was wondering how you got on with this job...
I've got a left hand outboard rear brake / indicator lamp playing up and need to access it... I've had a bit of a go through the licence plate area and also up from underneath... It's not easy!

Cheers
Mark
'86 Coupe from New Zealand.

I went through the side (where the number plates are) I carefully pulled out the rear bumper. There is some flexability and it allows to to get your hand in.

Not easy, but it can be done. The bumper from underneath can be pulled out slowly. Be careful though.

Cheers

Darren

I've changed the outboard bulbs in an '88 by going up from underneath, between the body and the muffler.
This is how I started, then rewired to get the outers to do flash duties while the inners do not. That, my friend took more time.

This shot captured the brakes lights on, with the flashers.

The stock flasher had to be replaced with one that did not need the circuitry resistance of the lights to operate.

....I can't believe Chevrolet overlooked such a simple thing such as screws on the outside of the lens for access ???? Maybe they figured that the globes would last forever ????

It just LOOKS better without screws...and I changed the bulbs ONCE on mine since 1992 before putting in the led's.

I'll bet it was an anti theft consideration. Anything that could be easily emoved probably would be.

Naw...Tony it was a PRO-Theft consideration! GM stealing your $! Ever actually read their recommendations? You remove the ENTIRE rear bumper cover! They charge you for 4 hours labor...then do it one of the quicker ways in half an hour to an hour! :upthumbs

Thanks for the advice guys... Job is now done!
I went from underneath for the outboard ones, and through the licence plate area, the fuel filler area and in through the holes of the outboard ones to get the inboard ones... Not easy - really happy it's over...
Cheers :)

Thanks for the advice guys... Job is now done!
I went from underneath for the outboard ones, and through the licence plate area, the fuel filler area and in through the holes of the outboard ones to get the inboard ones... Not easy - really happy it's over...
Cheers :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom