Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: What is the (no BS) true tint color of the glass T-Tops for the L81's???

Corvette
1981 HD Suspension; ZN1 Option
Until the search feature is improved, what is the true tint color for the glass T-Tops in the L81's???

Is it blue or green???

GerryLP:cool

Blue is correct.
Mine are original and after 30 yrs. I swear they are turning to a somewhat greenish tint. :)

Blue is correct.
Mine are original and after 30 yrs. I swear they are turning to a somewhat greenish tint. :)

And that's why I was asking. The one on the passenger's side is original, and it is a somewhat green tint...like the old Rayband sunglasses.

The passenger side one was replaced by the previous owner as part of the terms on the Vette's purchase back in 1985...and that one remains blue to this day (and I cracked the corner of it only two weeks into ownership of my Vette).

There was a glass replacement on eBay recently, purported to be NOS, but the seller told me that it is gold tint. So that is why I have been asking this question.

Gold?? I wonder if they are Bronze???that is what was used for the '82 collectors edition!!!!

There was a glass replacement on eBay recently, purported to be NOS, but the seller told me that it is gold tint. So that is why I have been asking this question.

It is possible to have a NOS bronze tint top. GM probably stopped making the tops in blue when they went to bronze.

I checked the Corvette Black Book but it says nothing about the changing color of the glass T-Tops.

Are we talking around mirrored t-tops or something else? :)

Greetings Peter

Gerry, I did quite a bit of research on this subject several years ago and here is the "no BS" story. The tops were made with toxic metals in the glass (I think mercury, but I do not really remember). Anyway, the process was banned, so you cannot get new tops made to original specs. Also, the color fades with time. They go from deep blue to aquamarine to amber, depending on time and exposure to the sun. If you want a true matching set, you must buy a pair that have been together all along, otherwise there will always be slight (or extreme ) differences in color. There was a company I found online that sold the old tops in matched sets starting at about $2500 (about 5 years ago). You can be sure as supplies dwindle, the prices will continue to go up. That (along with the fact that I kept breaking them) made me decide to go with fiberglass tops. With an r134 converted air conditioner here in Florida, it was a good move all around.

God bless, Sensei

hmmmmmm mine are original and are chromed mirror and have a dark smoked color when looking through them.

Chris,

That is interesting information. It fits right in with my memory of those times when everything was being re-examined by the manufacturers and other companies in order to avoid lawsuits. When I bought my Vette in 1985, the previous owner replaced the top as part of the deal, and since that time I thought that he had installed some sort of aftermarket replacement top....and perhaps it actually was an updated version because if they are supposed to be fading over time, the driver's side has not changed color or faded in any way noticeable to me.

Bill,

Where the tops on your Vette a different color when you bought it?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom