Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! What is this and how bad ami screwed?

jcoats

Corvette
1981 Corvette
Heard an odd noise when idling at the stop light. Found this spinning loose on my crank shaft. (Between arrows in pic). Where do I get started? Thanks in advance.

image.jpg

It's just the balancer not a big problem to repair. But please just leave it in the garage till you've repaired it. If it goes flying when your driving you have a very big problem!
You ll need a special tool to remove the old one and install the new one. No need to remove the waterpump or radiator i think. Good luck!

Greetings Peter

IT looks like the balancer. Not a big deal, and not the first one to ever come apart. Tough part is digging it out of there. All the belts, the fan and the pulleys need to come off. Most parts stores have a tool rental/loan program for the puller and installer. Stock balancers are not real expensive. You should be in and out for under $100. Unless I forget how much a balancer is.

Yep, that's it. The rubber elastromer between the cast iron inertia ring and the hub deteriorates and then the hub slips. It can break and pieces fly everywhere taking out other components like the radiator. Don't run it until you get a new one on there.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom