Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What IS this thing?!?!

80Vette

Corvette
1980 pearl white vette
Hello gang,
I have a 1980 C-3, When I bought the car recently the owner said that it was a 350Cu in. I had no reason to not believe him since "Hey, all 1980 Vettes had 350's in them right?"
Well, I was messing around the engine compartment and read the sticker on the hood which said "5.0 Litre, 305cu in CA emission" So, I read the VIN on the driverside windshield and it too said it was an H model which indicates that it's a 305cu in. car.
So, I went to the archives here at the CAC and checked out the block ID numbers. The block is indeed a corvette 350 because it reads "14010207" located at the back of the block.

Here's the crazy thing...The engine compartnment, the aircleaner, alternator, catalytics, distributor and all of the other "doo-dads" onto of the engine are all original. So it doesn't look like this is a "swap out" Job.

Could it be possible that the car was intended to be a CA car designated to have a 305 put into it but ended up with a 350 L82 instead?

Verrryyy curious this thing.

Front stamp...

Thanks for the inquiry.
The stamp doesn't look like it was too deeply punched but...From what I can gather it says "VO126SLIN"
That's just a guess because I'm not sure if the last figures are a S L I N or if it says S L N or S U N.

Is there some "master registry" for alternate GM blocks?

V means that engine was built in the Flint MI engine plant. 0126 means it was built January 26th. You would have to check the casting date on the right rear of the block to see which year.

I've never seen a four character suffix on an SBC, so I'll assume it's three.

The 305 cu. in. option had a suffix of ZCA in 1980 Corvettes. The 350 cu.in engines were ZAK, ZAM, ZBC or ZBD.

I can find no listing for SLN or SUN. Similar 'SU.." listings were mid 1980s 305 cu.in. from mid size Chev.

Doesn't sound like this is your original engine.

What's the VIN number derivative also stamped on the front pad, and does it match the last six digits on the car's VIN plate?

I suspect it's a 305. Given where you live in Oregon the odds are pretty good that you have a California car and the owner didn't realize it wasn't a 350. I would think the 305 could have the same block as a 350 with only a change in bore and/or stroke. Good luck on the investigation.

Whiplash said:
I suspect it's a 305. Given where you live in Oregon the odds are pretty good that you have a California car and the owner didn't realize it wasn't a 350. I would think the 305 could have the same block as a 350 with only a change in bore and/or stroke. Good luck on the investigation.

I don't think so - the block casting used for the 305 was unique to that displacement application due to the 1/4"-smaller bore size (3.736" vs. 4"), and the heads were unique to the 305 as well, with the tiny 50's-size valves (1.72"/1.5"). The larger 1.94" or 2.02" intake valves used in 350's won't work with the 305 bore size due to chamber shrouding.

Would be interesting to see the block casting date and the VIN stamp on the front pad.

:beer

JohnZ said:
Would be interesting to see the block casting date and the VIN stamp on the front pad.:beer

Okay...So, I've just popped the top off and checked it out from the best of my knowledge.
1. left rear cast-Block ID:The block is indeed a corvette 350 because it reads "14010207"
2. right front stamp- VO126SLIN (the engine is a core exchange rebuild from "recon."
3. right rear cast-Block ID: 24 (yes, that's it. Just 24. I am certain that this is what should indicate what year the block was built...but, 24?) could this be a rebuild of a February 2004 engine?
4. top rear cast-Block ID: CFD (yes, just CFD...I am imagining that this is indeed the 3 digit engine suffix). What Corvette engine has a suffix of CFD?

Wow...So, it looks like it is indeed a GM 350 cu.in. Corvette block but from what era corvette?

Hmmm.... I'm not very experienced at this, but CFD was a stamp (not a cast) for an '82 305 cid 145 hp small block.

For what it's worth, SDN ( SLIN ?) was a stamped suffix for an '84 305 cid 150 hp small block. ;shrug

Like Vettehead Mikey said above, I've never heard of nor can I locate a four character suffix on an SBC. :confused

I've figured out a few blocks in the past. I usually have to clean the pad three or four times (clean it, read it, look it up, makes no sense, repeat) before the stamped number exposes itself, especially with the engine in the car.

Can you post pictures of the engine pad & casting # so our resident experts can give it a lookover?

-Mac

The 14010207 casting number block was not exclusive to Corvettes, it was used across the GM car and truck lines up until the mid-80s.

Like Mac says, picture would really help.

80Vette said:
....Could it be possible that the car was intended to be a CA car designated to have a 305 put into it but ended up with a 350 L82 instead?...

No. Not possible. No way GM would take on the ilability of failing California emissions requirements with a car shipped there with an incorrect engine. All that emissions crap was the reason for the 305s in California cars to begin with.

The Califormia emissions cars all have electric Quadrajets and computers. Got a couple of wires running to your carb? Got a computer tucked in front of the battery compartment?

If yes to both, you've got a California emissions 305 CID.

:)

:_rock
6880 Mike said:
1. Got a couple of wires running to your carb?
2. Got a computer tucked in front of the battery compartment?

If yes to both, you've got a California emissions 305 CID.
:)

A. #1 Nope
A. #2 Nope...

Okay...I couldn't stand the suspense so I sent the car to the "Corvette Doctor" and had them give the car a looksie...
(Drum Roll Please..........)

It is indeed a Corvette block from (HIS GUESS IS...1971.CJK:350ci, 270hp (automatic transmission))
It is a 350 cu.in. engine. It was a remanufactured/rebuilt engine from 2 years ago. From "recon" a remanufacturing company.
It also has a slightly beefier cam. It's not stock what-so-ever...

Geepers, this whole time I thought it ran rough from a potential vacuum leak or bad plug...Nope. Just a fat cam! The scope shows that the motor is running very smooth and clean. This whole time I was thinking that "Man, this thing gets really bad gas mileage for a stock motor."

Also, it sure seemed much faster than a stock 190hp motor. I mean...My wife's Saturn L-series wagon has 200hp.
Wow, I am very pleasantly surprised!!!:_rock

So, I can now go to the coast with some peace of mind tomorrow morning!

BTW...The exhaust muffler does have some holes in it, any recommondations on new, hp increasing mufflers?

Andy in Portland
(aka 80vette)

Cheers!

generic name

Pseudomind said:
What is this? An auto business? Where is it located?

I didn't know if it was "board friendly" to post the name of businesses on the CAC board. Some boards do not allow "business name dropping."

But, if it's okay on the CAC the name of the shop was ARS (Auto Restorative Services). The mechanic is a well known & recommended Vette guy. 1-800-228-2857. Portland OR. They do high performance & Dyno work. Recommended vette guy of from Pacific Corvettes. http://www.pacvette.com/ore/service.shtml

Thanks!
AP

Thanks, I have seen other post swith the term "Corvette Doctor" used or something similar and I though maybe it was a small chain of Corvette shops located in larger cities.

I would like to find a good Corette mechaninc to know here in Jacksonville, Florida when and if the need arises. I have been looking, but so far with no luck for the Jacksonville area.

As to the information you posted I have no idea, but I am sure a mod will edit if need be, I would not call what you posted advertising Per se.

Thanks

80Vette said:
(HIS GUESS IS...1971.CJK:350ci, 270hp (automatic transmission))
It is a 350 cu.in. engine. It was a remanufactured/rebuilt engine from 2 years ago. From "recon" a remanufacturing company....

FYI...Whatever the actual year of the remanufactured block is I am not too concerned, his guess seems off. Also, why the date code, block ID (back) and block stamp (front) don't match doesn't bother me that much anymore..Because as long as it's a 350 and not a 305 is the real bonus for me. My ego could NOT handle a 305 :L .

Perhaps someday I'll call "Recon" and see if they have the work order. Perhaps they might know what the h#ll their stamping & codes mean. :)

Thanks again guys, this site rawks!

80Vette said:
:_rock

A. #1 Nope
A. #2 Nope...

Okay...I couldn't stand the suspense so I sent the car to the "Corvette Doctor" and had them give the car a looksie...
(Drum Roll Please..........)

It is indeed a Corvette block from (HIS GUESS IS...1971.CJK:350ci, 270hp (automatic transmission))
It is a 350 cu.in. engine. It was a remanufactured/rebuilt engine from 2 years ago. From "recon" a remanufacturing company.
It also has a slightly beefier cam. It's not stock what-so-ever...

Geepers, this whole time I thought it ran rough from a potential vacuum leak or bad plug...Nope. Just a fat cam! The scope shows that the motor is running very smooth and clean. This whole time I was thinking that "Man, this thing gets really bad gas mileage for a stock motor."

Also, it sure seemed much faster than a stock 190hp motor. I mean...My wife's Saturn L-series wagon has 200hp.
Wow, I am very pleasantly surprised!!!:_rock

So, I can now go to the coast with some peace of mind tomorrow morning!

BTW...The exhaust muffler does have some holes in it, any recommondations on new, hp increasing mufflers?

Andy in Portland
(aka 80vette)

Cheers!

Cool.

If it's truely a 1980 calif emissions LG4 305CID then your bin will read 1Z87HAS..........

Pseudomind said:
Thanks, I have seen other post swith the term "Corvette Doctor" used or something similar and I though maybe it was a small chain of Corvette shops located in larger cities.

I would like to find a good Corette mechaninc to know here in Jacksonville, Florida when and if the need arises. I have been looking, but so far with no luck for the Jacksonville area.

As to the information you posted I have no idea, but I am sure a mod will edit if need be, I would not call what you posted advertising Per se.

Thanks
That sure blows me away!!!Jacksonville is the largest city in the USA and no Vette places.I live in little old Savannah so I can understand why we don't have one yet.I say yet because I've got an idea!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom