Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What is your rear gear ratio...now that harland has mentioned it?

Thanks Stepinwolf..

That is what I would have thought (3.55)for most small blocks that have owned, most of which have been a 350 or bigger. I imagine that a good 327 would be very happy with anything that a 350 likes....but I wasn't sure about an old school 283. I wouldn't be surprised that a 3.73 would be good there as well...depending on the engine and how much timing could be run without pinging.

I have run many gear ratios in the custom Chevrolet pickups that we have built....so these gear ratios coincide with what I was guessing for the lighter cars....at least for the way I would most enjoy them. Once upon a time I would have required at least a 4.11 for a street small block car, but times have changed me in that regard.

I think that the 4.56 P-trac I have and the old school 283 would be fun for a little while. Then I'd get tired of the shifting.

So it looks like I'll wind up just building the one retro car in that case...and sell off the 283 engine, 4 speed,gears and other stuff that I won't be using, once I'm sure I have everything I need from the parts car.

Thanks for the help from everyone....it's very much appreciated.

Regards...Stan M.

3.36 to 3.70 Impact on a 60?

Presently running 3.36 non posi with close ratio Muncie and 294 degree comp cam solid lifter 355 with 2.02 heads, Weiand stealth intake and 600 cfm Edelbrock. Have original 3.70 on hand. Anything under about 25mph is somewhat of a chore, but much better than when I had a solid lifter 283.
Assume in town running will improve a bunch, and maybe even mileage (10 around town). Any thoughts on highway speeds and mileage due to 10% increase in engine rpm?

Currently 3:36 but originally a 4:11 (posi) car. I still have the 4:11 gears, and more than likely they'll go back in.

Hello...I'm running 3:70s in my 63. 331, 30-30 + 4 degrees, M20, Z28 alum. Intake, 462/ 2.02 pocket port/intake match, headers, TRW 12.5 pistons/final comp ~11.25:1, stock valve train, Mallory 501 dist., tire/wheel combo - 24.5" tall/225/60/15. Up here the highway speed limit is still mostly 55. Some places 60.

The car in top gear really comes on the pipe at around 60mph, which is fantastic for passing. The car pulls hard out of the twisties which I really enjoy.

For the type of roads I live around and mostly drive on, the 3:70s are about perfect. If I lived on the praries, it would be a different story as the engine does get a bit busy to cruise comfortably at sustained higher speeds.

I don't take long trips with the car so I could get away with 4:11s. I'd even like to try 4:56s for kicks but I think the temptation to abuse the car even more would be too great for me to stand :)

Hello...I'm running 3:70s in my 63. 331, 30-30 + 4 degrees, M20, Z28 alum. Intake, 462/ 2.02 pocket port/intake match, headers, TRW 12.5 pistons/final comp ~11.25:1, stock valve train, Mallory 501 dist., tire/wheel combo - 24.5" tall/225/60/15. Up here the highway speed limit is still mostly 55. Some places 60.
:)

What a great combo. I can remember when there were a lot of cars like this around. I'll bet this baby really screams when you want it to.

Tom

1961 270HP with 3:70
1963 340HP with 3:55

Ray

I know or possibly realize that i`m the only one using a 4.56 gear on this forum. And this was strictly by choice as thats exactly the way I ordered it. Now heres what I do know, I can and do very frequently start out in 2 or maybe even 4 at times. Gentlemen your not going to hurt the engine, they can take it. :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom