Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: What kind of Gasoline do you use ?

Corvette
2003 50th Annversary Red coupe, beautiful !
We, (The folks who live in about a five miles or more radius of where I live use to have three or four choices for fuel, ExxonMobile, Texaco, BP and Sunoco.) But in the last two years, The Texaco closed down. All of the ExxonMobile stations are closed, the BP is going to close end of the Month and that leaves Only 8 Sunoco stations. The GM master Technican who works on my 2003, has told me to try to stay away from Sunoco because of the high sulfur content. But last night that's all I had to use. The cost by the way is $3.23.9 a gallon for Sunoco Ultra 93 Octane.

It's strange cause we have about six refineries right here on the Delaware River. There are about seven 'No-Name' gas stations, where and how good the quality of the gasoline is a mystery? But we no longer have any access to ANy top tier fuels at all. But it seems as if the oil companies are getting out of the brand name stations, why I haven't a clue. What's it like where you are? ;help

I use mostly Mobil, but if not i usually use 93 octane, of any brand:thumb

That "master" technician doesn't know much about gasoline.

Sunoco or any other major brand of fuel will work well in your Corvette. Avoid, "off-brand" fuel sold by independant stations. Also, avoid fuel from a station you feel may not pump a high-volume of gas.

You may want to read a feature article here on the CAC about gasolines for Corvettes. See: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/gas/

I wish we had 93/94 octane gasolines out here in the West. We're stuck with 91.

I use Shell V-Power exclusively.

I've always had good luck with BP - 92/93 octane (octane rating depended on state).

On a side note I wrote a lot of the credit card processing code for BP (about 20 years ago - which means in today's IT world, it's just about due for an update. <G>).

Chevron/Texico..Shell..Moble.. I try not to use any 10% Korn Kobs!! :D

Thanks Hib, I trust your advice, and GMjunkie too ! Both of you are some pretty sharp edged technical advisors. I use Sunoco Ultra 93 octane. I know I only need 91 octane, but I'm a creature of habit, and when we're talking about $0.02 a gallon, I use the top octane they have. I read your artical in CE about fuels and enjoyed it. We just don't have much of a choice around here. But thank you !

In the for what's worth file, of the six refineries located on this side of the Delaware River, two have closed down. . . Reason, not enough of a demand to operate them. And considering that a gallon of gas just went up by $0.10 in the last five days, I'm kinda fuzzy about this "Supply and Demand economics"

One thing that concerns me is the seeming EPA push for higher than 10% Ethanol, upwards to 15% ethanol. I really don't understand the reason why Ethanol is so hot a product. The corrosive effects of more 'Corn fuel' I don't think is such a great idea. ;help

Yeah, you got that right. Better hang on to a few bucks cause we're gonna get hit with a increase in the price of a gallon of gas. Again. . .

All I use (or try to use) is Chevron 91. Sometimes on the road you have to take what you can get but it is always a higher tier gasoline.

There's a Phillips 66 station with 100% gas near my house - 91 octane, that's my normal fuel.
Shell V-Power and other 'name' brand 90/91 octane on the road but sometimes even the 'name' brands are 10% corn due to local laws, etc. E10 gets lousy mileage and the price is the same as if it was 100% gas.

Generally, you find 93/94 octane in the eastern U.S., especially in the upper mid-west and eastern seaboard.

West of the Mississippi, and in places where the altitude is mostly below 3000 ft, you see 91 octane.

This is because an agreement the oil refining and the pipeline industries made in the late 1990s to reduce the complexity of shpping 91, 92, 93 and 94 octane fuels through the same pipes.

Unfortunately, for marketing reasons beginning in the early years of this decade, GM began to calibrate for 93 rather than 91 octane fuel. That increases rated power but it leaves people in the west having problems with knock retard.

Hib, from what I understand since we are in the Rockies (for instance we are over 6,000 ft here in Colorado Springs), using 91 isn't an issue with knock and ping. Is that correct?

The lower octane actually is a better performer because the value of octane is the burn rate of the fuel. Lower value=faster burn=more Hp.

Problems arise when the burn rate is so fast the fuel explodes rather than burns, hence that knocking / rattling sound of your valve train when speeding away.

Being in Alabama and close to the pipeline we get 93/94 everywhere. There is even a place that sells 102 at the pump for those folks who dont have catalytic converters to worry about. Its about $6.73/gallon

We also have no vehicle inspections to get in the way. :boogie

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom